VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cisco UCS C200 M2 - USB Install

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what if any are the best USB pens to use with a ESXi 5 installation to USB on Cisco UCS C200 and C210. Anything I should know about, any gotcha's etc

Thanks

JB

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The virtual USB interface is not supported on VMware. The following are  examples of differences in external media support between MCS servers  and Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers:

Install logs cannot get dumped to a USB key. These logs get dumped to a file through the serial port of the VM.

The  answer file generated by the Answer File Generator (platformConfig.xml)  cannot get read from a USB key to perform an unattended installation.

Instead, you must put the answer file into a FLP image to be mounted in  the floppy drive.

USB tape drive backup is not supported. Use SFTP instead.

Music On Hold through a USB connection is not supported. Use a Cisco 7800 Series Media Convergence Server instead.

Cisco  Messaging Interface (CMI) for Message Waiting Indication (MWI) is not  supported over the serial port. Use a Cisco 7800 Series Media

Convergence Server instead.

abirhasan   
0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. I am looking to use the internal USB to boot the hypervisor as opposed to local disk or boot from SAN so my question was aimed towards this really.

Any ideas?

JB

0 Kudos
ranjodhdeol
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Johnny,

did you find your answer?? I am also looking for the same information.

thx

RD

0 Kudos