VMware Cloud Community
ChrisatVM
Contributor
Contributor

Cisco Switch recommendations

I have 3 esx hosts 3GHz QC, 48GB RAM, 6x GB NICS 1 x RSA attached to FC SAN

Which switches would you recommend?

I have been looking at the 2x 2960G -48-TC-L or ?

any opinions or experience would be appreciate

0 Kudos
1 Reply
EllettIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So would the switches be for your normal VM network or for a SAN? I'm guessing for the VM network as you mentioned a FC SAN. If you currently have Cisco stuff in your network then it's usually a given to keep with the trend (but not always). The 2960G is a decent basic switch however if this is for your normal production network then perhaps you might want something with more features etc? If you have no need for Layer 3 capabilities or more advance Layer 2 capabilities it would work however if you see yourself doing something more "advanced" in the near future you might want to plan for that. I think the Cisco progression goes something like 2960's to 3560's to 3750's to 4500's to 6500's with price and features increasing with each class usually. I think the pertinent thing would be to think about what features you need right now and what features you'll want in the future and try to plan around that. If you're not stuck on Cisco you could look at the HP Procurve's, I don't have any experience with them but they seem to have a good reputation and are priced very competitively. Something like the 2810 or 2800 series I think would be comparable to the 2960 on the Cisco side. Sorry to answer your question with more questions Smiley Happy