VMware Cloud Community
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changing IP address of VC Server??

Hi, I need to change the IP address assigned to my Virtual Center server. Is there a specific process that can be followed so there are no interuptions or complications??

Is this even recommended/possible without anything major being affected?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I was able to change my VC's IP without any issue. Just remember to update the /etc/hosts file(s) on all your ESX hosts. Just change it in Network Settings like you normally would any other windows machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I was able to change my VC's IP without any issue. Just remember to update the /etc/hosts file(s) on all your ESX hosts. Just change it in Network Settings like you normally would any other windows machine.

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The easiest option is to disconnect each host in virtualcenter, change the IP address and reconnect. At this point you get a prompt telling you that the host is currently managed by the old IP address and asking if you want to continue. Say OK and all should be well.

tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This should be done during down time right? It will affect the running VM's?

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, definitely during down time. Although none of my VM's were interrupted.

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The only effect of having the VC offline is the fact that DRS will not function and of course you lose infrastructure management functions- all VM's and HA will operate as normal.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Adding/Removing ESX hosts from virtual center doesn't effect any VMs at all. You neither change the host file entries from the hosts or remove it from the VI client and reconnect when you're done. You just not have the luxury to play with VI Client management and people can't make any changes to the virtual machines settings but still able to RDP directly to the VMs themselve. You still be able to manage your ESX hosts via Service Console majority of the tasks and also can connect VI Client directly with the host.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

"The Power of Knowledge"

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos