Resuta
Contributor
Contributor

Capstone Project, how to run ESX on a machine that doesnt have a hard drive?

Dear Virtualization friends,

I am a virtualization newbie. My team and I are from DurhamTech Comm. Coll. and my virtualization team are I handed out with a project and I was hoping if any of you could please help us. We are interested in offering our schools computers over the weekend to provide students and partner schools access to virtual machines over the internet. These computers are idle on friday, saturday, sunday and are barely used on the weekdays. When I said newbie, we have little administration skills and rely heavily on books and manuals and tips from working admins.

We have setup a basic VM Infrastructure, with Virtual Center and one ESX server. Our delema is that we have to run the virtual machines from a remote servers hard drive. In other words the 30 other computers wont have hard drives.I was thinking about making the diskless computers grab an image of ESX and run from memory and store the Virtual Machines somewhere else. We just don't have a clue where to go from their. We have been searching around and found different methods of deploying but not where it runs from memory. We would really appreciate it very much if any would be willing to point out documents, books, videos or hints and tips that would help us with our cause. We are willing to post our project plan and documents for others to implement at there workplace or schools. Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Your post has been moved to the Strategy and Planning forum.

You might want to look at this document. Basically it describes how to boot and configure a diskless ESXi server - http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-7512#cf.

Resuta
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much Dave, I already saw guide similar to this one. I guess we will have to do it with ESXi. It says that it is possible to do the same for ESX but it doesnt show us how. Thank you again Dave, we really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Resuta
Contributor
Contributor

We were concerned that the esxi version didnt have vmotion available. I have read in the site that it does have vmotion so we will rest our case with this question.

0 Kudos