VMware Cloud Community
Marcel1967
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Capacity planner: convert AMD cpu cycles to Intel

I like to run some consolidation scenario's in Capacity Planner using server specs based on AMD cpu's. As the most current HP blades with AMD cpu's are not listed in Capacity Planner I like to make a new hardware template.

As far as I know CPU speed of Intel and AMD CPU's cannot be compared using the cycles. An AMD Opteron CPU 2,3 Ghz could be as powerfull as an Intel Xeon 3.1 Ghz. So what core speed should I fill into the hardware template for AMD CPU's to make a fair comparison between AMD and Intel CPU's and come up with a good capacity planning? Is there a rule to convert AMD CPU speed to Intel CPU speed?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hello Marcel,

Capacity planner don't care what family of processor is in the physical box that is about to be virtualized. Capacity planner do want to know how much MHz the server provides and how much is being used when the server is at its busiest.

The approach of Capacity planner is conservative so, if the scenario reports give you an estimate of 15:1 consolidation, it will be surely achieved: this means that, when you'll implement your virtual environment probably you'll get X:1 with X>15.

HTH

\aleph0

(in italian)

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos