VMware Cloud Community
chriskchung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Capacity Planning (for a small timer)

I currently have a single server with internal storage that I am running 8 virtual machines. I am using it to run a small web business with modest RTO/RPOs currently. My business is starting to grow a little faster than expected, so my RTO is moving from about 5 days to 4 hours. My current DR plan if there is a failure of the server, would be to service/purchase a new server, rebuild the VMs, and restore application data from the NAS backup device. All told, this could easily take 4-5 days with the longest duration being around waiting for the hardware.

I was thinking the cheapest way to reduce the RTO was to get a second near-identical server and backup server images to the NAS on a monthly basis. If the primary server fails, I would take the latest backup of images, restore them onto the second server, and recover the application data. I figure this saves the waiting time for new/repaired hardware and should allow me to reduce the RTO to 1-2 days. Does this sound reasonable? If it does, another question is around the hardware. As I am going to need another server and my needs are growing, how do I determine where to spend (i.e. buy more memory, faster disk, or more CPU)?

To get down to 4 hours, I was thinking I would require shared storage so I could take advantage of HA. If so, whats the cheapest way to do this? Can I get an iSCSI NAS that will have equivalent performance to 6 143GB SAS 15K drives in RAID 5? And if so, what am I looking to spend. I spoke to a guy at EMC and he was saying it would cost a minimum of around 20K. Are there less expensive alternatives?

(BTW, my company is celebrating its 6 month aniversary, and there is no way I could have done it without the help of this forum, THANKS!)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

You will at least need a second ESX server, with identical local storage and some form of shared storage; SAN or iSCSI. iSCSI is less of an investment initially yet could use 10G cards.... Perhaps for future growth. Once you have this combination, invest in VMware HA/DRS. In the case of a system crashing as the previous poster stated, your VMs are load balanced across the hosts (DRS) and you will loose perhaps at most half, but with HA, they will start up automatically on the other node of the HA cluster. So the combination is good.

I also suggest a backup strategy that copies the VMs from remote storage to local storage (just in case the shared storage has issues), and then to your backup server then to tape.... Shared Disk to Local Disk to Backup Server to backup media sort of approach. This way you cover all your bases. HA/DRS to cover node failure. Local copies of backups to handle shared disk failures, and tape/blu-ray backups to handle complete failure. I would also do FULL VMDK level backups, this way restoration is just the restoration of the VM on new servers.

A good DR/Business Continuity plan is necessary... You have written one? This way you can hand the plan to anyone, and have them do the restore. Write the document as if no one understands how to install ESX and you covered that base as well.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the forthcoming 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', publishing January 2008, Copyright 2008 Pearson Education. Available on Rough Cuts at http://safari.informit.com/9780132302074

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
trusted1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To get you RTO as low as possible you will have to have a 2nd ESX server ready to go. An iSCSI SAN won't do any good if your only ESX box is down. I would instead look at getting a 2nd ESX box with identical local storage and investing in Vizioncore's vReplicator. VReplicator can replicate your VMs on the fly to the other ESX server without the need for a SAN. If you go this route I would look into splitting your VMs between the ESX hosts for better performance and so that in a server failure you only lose half your VMs. Your RTO will only be as good as your last replication pass with vReplicator, but easily under your 4 hour window.

A very good optiong for iSCSI SAN would be DataCore's SAN Melody. It is software that can turn a standard Windows server into a iSCSI SAN, We're a datacore partner if you're interested in finding out more.

What's the budget if you don't mind me asking? Also RTO and RPO? If we had a better idea of the end game, we could give you some more solution stacks that can help out.

Cheers! -Sean

Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

You will at least need a second ESX server, with identical local storage and some form of shared storage; SAN or iSCSI. iSCSI is less of an investment initially yet could use 10G cards.... Perhaps for future growth. Once you have this combination, invest in VMware HA/DRS. In the case of a system crashing as the previous poster stated, your VMs are load balanced across the hosts (DRS) and you will loose perhaps at most half, but with HA, they will start up automatically on the other node of the HA cluster. So the combination is good.

I also suggest a backup strategy that copies the VMs from remote storage to local storage (just in case the shared storage has issues), and then to your backup server then to tape.... Shared Disk to Local Disk to Backup Server to backup media sort of approach. This way you cover all your bases. HA/DRS to cover node failure. Local copies of backups to handle shared disk failures, and tape/blu-ray backups to handle complete failure. I would also do FULL VMDK level backups, this way restoration is just the restoration of the VM on new servers.

A good DR/Business Continuity plan is necessary... You have written one? This way you can hand the plan to anyone, and have them do the restore. Write the document as if no one understands how to install ESX and you covered that base as well.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the forthcoming 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', publishing January 2008, Copyright 2008 Pearson Education. Available on Rough Cuts at http://safari.informit.com/9780132302074

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Forget the SAN. SMC's post is a good idea. I have put this together for anything from large multinational corporations' branch offices to small coffee shops: it's called Data Center In A Box. You don't need shared storage for it, but you do need 2 ESX hosts with as much local disk as possible. Follow these steps:

1. Deply 2 ESX hosts, no virtual center needed

2. Host 1: DC, File Server, DHCP server, Admin server

3. Host 2: DC, Print Server, App Server, Admin server

4. Now install Vizioncore's vReplicator on both admin servers

5. Replicate Print and App from ESX2 to ESX1, replicate File and DHCP from ESX1 to ESX2

If one of the hosts fails, you have a (at most) 5-6 hour old version of the VM on the failed host at any time. Failing over is very simple. The cost for replicating each VM is about $500 MSRP, you should be able to get it for less from your reseller. This setup works like a charm and eliminates the need for shared storage in a small environment. Good Luck!

petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey chriskchung,

My companies backup product esXpress also may have a solution for what you are looking to do. First off I agree with some of the other posts that investing in a second ESX host would be a good idea. It will give you the redundancy in hardware to run your VMs on. With esXpress we have something we call simple replication. It is using our backups to do replication. What occurs is the backups that are generated ( Fulls or Deltas ) from the primary host are then atuomatically restores on the replicated hosts. A lot of customers send their backups to a seperate backup server ( FTP/SSH/SMB) and the replicated host looks for backups to restore from that server. However you can set esXpress up to replicate between your 2 hosts or even to a single host ( using a combination of local vmfs as a backup target or ssh targets on your hosts. If you do go for a SAN we can backup and replicate from vmfs on the SAN as well.

Good luck with your vmware growth and whatever solution you wind up using.

Pete@esxpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
sstelter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is great to see some excellent SAN-free recommendations on this thread! For completeness, one step up from Vizioncore's vReplicator and one step easier than the SAN Melody product from Datacore would be the Virtual SAN Appliance (VSA) from LeftHand Networks (note: I work for LeftHand). The ingredients are the same as many of the other recommendations here - add another ESX server and increase the amount of local disk that you have. Then run the VSA as a guest OS on your ESX servers. When you do this, you are turning the local disk in your ESX servers into a clustered, synchronously replicated SAN. You can use HA, VMotion, and DRS. Your RPO and RTO go to zero. No additional storage devices to manage. When you need more compute power for your VMs, you add another ESX server, and if you add another VSA license, you would increase your storage capacity AND storage performance as well. When your business continues to grow, you can migrate volumes to one of our physical SANs online, without downtime. If you want to add offsite DR you can use the integrated asynchronous replication features to replicate between physical and/or virtual SANs across a WAN link. You get snapshots, thin provisioning, and volume cloning features too, along with a host of others.

Best of all, you can download it and try it out for free here: http://www.lefthandnetworks.com/products/vsa.php

Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.

Stephan Stelter, LeftHand Networks

0 Kudos
mikes1p
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This thread is just what I have been looking for, a way to do DR inexpensively. I am trying to swing the budget for an iSCSI SAN box and ESX DR but this idea (two ESX hosts replicating between each other) is way less expensive. For a small company like where I work selling management in a SAN is tough. I like the idea of central storage for other uses, not just ESX, but even a low cost SAN is expensive, especially if you get into redundant iSCSI storage appliances.

What sort of performance hit to you take when running VSA compared to a low cost iSCSI SAN box like Lefthand, StoreVault, Hitachi, etc? Say I buy a current server maxed with SAS disks

How does the VSA perform as a iSCSI SAN device for other physical servers? E.g. say I want a LUN for storage for a MS SQL 2005 server because the local disks are full on the SQL box. Just a rough guess as I know this is a full topic on it's own

Thanks

Mike S

0 Kudos
sstelter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

You are not alone in the uphill battle of selling a SAN to management. Management has a hard time with soft-dollar benefits like making you more productive and reducing the after-hours work you currently have to do. Sometimes the high availability and disaster recovery benefits are more tangible to management, so give that angle a try. The entry-level SAN boxes from most of the hardware players come up short on performance, features, scalability, and redundancy. Hardware companies do not want to cannibalize sales of their midsize offerings with their entry-level offerings.

Quick review of storage performance: All sustained storage performance is ultimately gated by the number and performance of disk drives in the solution. Weak controller designs will prevent you from obtaining the full potential of the drives contained in a solution, but the fastest controller in the world can't perform better than the drives behind it. The same is true for the VSA. The VSA delivers roughly 80-90% of physical SAN performance per spindle. So if you build a VSA configuration with two ESX servers and two VSA licenses and each ESX server has 6 SAS disks, you will get 12 spindles of performance. These 12 spindles will deliver 80-90% of the performance of 12 SAS spindles running in one of our physical SAN units. Our physical SAN units are among the best-performing enterprise-class SANs on the market today. We outperform high-end SANs from the big guys on a daily basis.

The VSA can indeed present iSCSI volumes to other, non-ESX servers as well, so your physical MS SQL 2005 server can access a volume that lives on the VSA.

There is a HUGE difference between entry-level hardware SANs and a VSA-based SAN in terms of scalability. Let's imagine that you have two ESX servers in your main location and each one is running the VSA. Each of the servers has 6x 300GB 15k RPM SAS spindles. Your configuration will deliver some measureable amount of performance - say 2000 IOPS. If you add a third ESX server, you are adding CPU and memory resources to share in your VMware cluster AND you are adding storage resources to your VSA cluster. You will now have on the order of 3000 IOPS of disk performance. Adding six more SAS drives to your twelve-drive VSA storage cluster does not incur any downtime, and you now have 18x 300GB 15k RPM SAS drives serving I/O for ALL volumes on the virtual SAN (we spread the data from existing volumes onto the new spindles automagically). Note that many of the "entry-level" physical SANs can't scale beyond 12 drives and often are limited to SATA disks only. They also introduce single points of failure - the SAN infrastructure components (switches, HBAs, cabling) and the SAN itself (controller chassis, midplane, disk shelf) become liabilities. With the VSA, the three-ESX-server-with-VSA configuration described above can lose 6 disks (one entire system) along with a drive in each of the survivng units (RAID 5). Now that's redundancy.

See the InfoStor review for an indepent look at the VSA:

http://www.infostor.com/display_article/314533/23/ARTCL/none/none/1/SANitize-DAS-to-enhance-virtual-...

All of this begs the question - when do you choose a LeftHand Networks physical SAN over the VSA. Capacity and hardware management are the answers.

Capacity: The VSA can manage 2TB per license. As you can seen in the example above, it is easy for a VSA SAN to scale in 2TB increments. If you need 10TB of space and you want to be able to sustain some system failures, you're going to need 10 ESX servers with 2TB each. Not necessarily ideal when you consider than LeftHand Networks can do that with SATA disks in a two-node physical SAN configuration today.

Hardware management: The disks in the ESX server running VSA are managed by the ESX server (or the hardware RAID controller supported by ESX). Any drive failure alerts need to be managed at the ESX level - the VSA has no visibility into the physical hardware layer (obviously, since it is running as a guest OS). A physical SAN from LeftHand Networks does bad block remapping and defragmentation and other drive-health monitoring (SMART for example) as part of our self-healing SAN feature set. Add phone home support and the ability to scale storage capacity and performance independently of ESX performance, and you see the benefits of a physical SAN make sense for larger companies.

Interestingly, we have customers with big, legacy, fibre-channel SANs running the VSA on their ESX clusters to create another storage tier. Pretty cool way to use the disks that are already spinning in an ESX cluster - you're paying for the power and cooling of those drives, so why not store something there? Without the VSA, those the data on those disks could be lost - there is not fault tolerance. With the VSA, they have a scalable tier of disk that is fault tolerant.

I hope this helps - the best advice I can give you is to download the VSA and try it out - the demo version runs on VMware Server or ESX. After the 30-day evaluation period, it will continue to work as a simple iSCSI target until the end of time.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.

Happy New Year!

Stephan Stelter, LeftHand Networks

0 Kudos
ronrob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mike,

Give me a call in the monring to discuss pricing for the Network Appliance Storevault at 404-56-8828

www.itdatastorage.com

0 Kudos