VMware Cloud Community
terrysposato
Contributor
Contributor

Capacity Planning & Forecasting

Hi,

I am after a free solution currently for which will show me some reports (over time) to what my hosts/clusters/datacenters are doing performance wise. The idea is to call out when and where we need to add capacity to certain clusters in order to meet some demand.

Does anyone know of any scripts that pull this information and display it nicely with graphs that can be utilised?

I am aware of the many applications out there which do this, however in this instance I need a free solution.

Regards,

Terry

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

you can use vmware capacity planner since you wanted it is free.

0 Kudos
terrysposato
Contributor
Contributor

I want something that can look at what I have currently on the clusters...

VMware capacity planner is good for consolidation, not so much for what I want...

The equivalent of what I need in a paid application would be CAP IQ.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i believe there is none that is free, but maybe this would be the nearest. rvtools @ http://www.robware.net/

0 Kudos
ChrisDearden
Expert
Expert

I can't see there is much that will really do the trending etc for you , however you might be able to make some use from the free tools & some powershell , but you may well have to do a far ammoutn of the interpretation yourself.

Alan Renouf's vCheck powershell script does a little bit of basic capacty planning.

http://www.virtu-al.net/2010/03/26/vcheck-v5/

William Lam's Health Check report will tell you more than you ever needed to know.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9842

you coudl comnine some of this with the freeware from Vkernel to make some reports.

http://www.vkernel.com/products/free-vm-assessment-tools

If this post has been useful , please consider awarding points. @chrisdearden http://jfvi.co.uk http://vsoup.net
0 Kudos
lanamarkinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lanamark provides a commercial, services-centric solution for analysis across virtual machines, VM hosts, virtual disks and datastores. These capabilities are designed to help VMware partners deliver professional and managed services for existing VMware deployments. If you submit an online inquiry referencing this thread, we will respond to you promptly.

0 Kudos
ESABO12
Contributor
Contributor

How does one know how measure and baseline VMWare infrastructure capacity?    I keep hearing the capacity planner (is this free), what does this get one?    Is there any best practices on this subject that might be useful?      Can capacity measurement be done with current tools that are include in vsphere?

0 Kudos
ChrisDearden
Expert
Expert

Capacity Planner is free to VMware Partners - if you are an end user you might need to get a partner to run an assesment for you.

You need to measure capacity in terms of the workload you are attempting to run - have a look at some of the free Health Check Scripts I linked to - or a trial of some of the 3rd party tools from Veeam / VKernel & Lanamark would do the trick.

If this post has been useful , please consider awarding points. @chrisdearden http://jfvi.co.uk http://vsoup.net
0 Kudos
arosemblat
Contributor
Contributor

Depending on the size of the virtual environment, with a bit of spreadsheet work and some metrics drawn from vCenter, it is possible to get a capacity baseline of the environment, and check to see if there are any problem areas that exist or are emerging that could lead to VM performance issues. We detail what metrics to look at and for what in our VMware Performance Monitoring to Avoid Slow VMs whitepaper. However, when an environment begins to grow, doing this process manually can become very time-consuming and unwieldly.

Echoing Chris' post from above, you could try out the CapacityVIEW free assessment tool which will give you a very quick, high-level baseline of your environment's capacity and recognize if there are any over-allocated VMs or performance issues detected.

Alex Rosemblat

VKernel

0 Kudos
ESABO12
Contributor
Contributor

Alex,

Thanks for the resources, the whitepaper was great and just what I was looking for.     I guess where I am having issues at being a newbie to VMWare is if Vendor X says they need -  X number of CPU, X amount of GB, X amount of disk space - this might not mean that their software in our environment will ever use that, most vendors think in terms of physical server or their hardware requirements are from generations ago CPU (compute capacity) and perhaps they are not measuring against recent chipsets.    How does one baseline and know when capacity is near?     We are in education we currently only have very little in terms of production servers in an VM environment and these servers only peak during registration times, we do have a cluster and DRS setup.   But we worry about hitting capacity.

Does capacityView run within the Vcenter console?  

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
arosemblat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ESABO12, I'm glad to hear that the whitepaper was helpful, and also very interested in the follow-up questions about how to get sizing right. These are topics that we're looking to cover in the upcoming whitepapers that will be out soon (I'll post links to this thread when they're released). We're also planning a free webinar on the topic with vExpert Greg Shields on June 2 (sign up link here), who is very knowledgeable in this area and will be taking questions throughout the webcast. 

What we've found is that even with knowing which metrics to use to determine sizing, the process can still involve some non-technical factors moreso than just baselining and establishing how much capacity is left that can change allocation amounts such as SLA provisos, expected application usage growth, and allaying concerns from application owners, etc... which can make sizing a bit more of an art. Here are some rules of thumb that can help in baselining and in figuring out how to size correctly (these will be explained in more depth and technical detail in those whitepapers that we are currently working on):

Determine What an Appropriate Time Frame is for Evaluation - Some applications may only be used once a month or once a quarter, others get the same use every day. To get an accurate assessment of how many resources are necessary, the application's consumption should be measured from end to end in what would be a usage cycle for the application.

Base Sizings on Peak Usage Periods - When the right time frame is determined, look for the peak amount of usage, as any VM's resource allocation needs to have enough "juice" to maintain high performance when an application is at maximum usage.

Add a Buffer -  After finding the peak, add on a percent more than what is observed from past performance data so that if a future peak is higher than an observed peak, the application will maintain its performance... That percent to use as a buffer is probably not a "one size" fits all, and figuring out for each application what it should be is where things become a bit more of an art.

Start with the Minimum Amount of Resources That Will Keep Good Performance for a VM out of the Box -  This approach can help maintain appropriate sizings without causing undue performance concerns: It's a lot easier to tell an application owner that you're giving their apps more resources, than finding out that they were vastly over-allocated, and then telling them that you need to take something back.

Ping the Application Owners for Growth Data - If the application owners can give a good idea of which applications will grow in user counts, will experience updates that could make the app more or less resource-hungry, or will start to experience more usage, that VM should be closely watched to make sure it will have enough resources to maintain high performance.

Run a Sizing Assessment Process As Often as Possible - Because application usage can change frequently, sizing needs for the resources that maintain that app's performance may also need to change. That means that the baseline will always be changing - and it needs to be reassessed as often as possible to ensure that the VM continues to have what it needs, and is not needlessly taking up resources that other VMs could use.

As for CapacityVIEW, it just runs on a Windows workstation and does not integrate into the vCenter client. We designed it as a quick to use assessment tool which was just a few MB download. Our commercial product which works on VM sizing, Optimizer does launch from within the vCenter client, and will analyze the metrics described in the whitepaper to assess VM allocations over the entire environment in a regularly recurring automated fashion - finding the peak usage and suggesting sizing recommendations that can be scheduled or implemented automatically through the vCenter API. Many of our clients also use the graphical sizing representation per VM to explain to application owners that even at peak usage, their applications are using a small fraction of what they've been allotted (I've attached a screenshot of what that looks like and highlighted where that is shown). Optimizer installs as a virtual appliance in about 20 minutes, so you'd be able to get that automated baseline set up quickly if you'd want to try it out.

I hope that this gives some more insight, and in a few weeks, I'll post the whitepapers that we plan on releasing which will have more detail. Let me know if there are any other areas

Alex Rosemblat

VKernel

0 Kudos
ESABO12
Contributor
Contributor

Alex,

Some more great information, so much to learn and think about.    I plan on attending that live event.  

Thanks again.      

0 Kudos
arosemblat
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to be able to help!

Alex Rosemblat

VKernel

0 Kudos
arosemblat
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

Just wanted to add on to this thread. We just released the white paper referenced in the previous message concerning VM memory sizing considerations. It is available at http://bit.ly/vRAM-sizing-considerations. It goes into much more depth concerning the different things to look at mentioned in the email above, and it offers "how-to's" in using VMware memory metrics to determine the right allocation sizing for VM memory.

Hope this is helpful.

Alex Rosemblat

VKernel

0 Kudos