VMware Cloud Community
jerry2096
Contributor
Contributor

Capacity Planner

When we installed Virtual Center 2.5 with ESX 3.5 host servers in our environment, I found there is a "VMware Capacity Planner Service" installed and started on the VC server.

How can we use this service to perform the capacity planning scan, is there any limitations of using this service for scanning compared with the scanning offered by VMware professional service?

Is there any white paper on how to use this?

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

I believe VMware Capacity planner service is used to analyze the servers whether they are good or not before consolidation. It is definitely different compared to that provided by Vmware, as it does the analyses for the times etc as per our choice and we have too many options in it. Where as the service provided in VC is having very limited features and it will output if the physcial machine is good for conversion or not......

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The VMware Capacty Planner that is installed is 'VMware Capacity Lite' - it is designed for smaller environments and does not run as long and bases its decision on preloaded parameters. it provides a quick and dirty assessment of your physical machines and is really recommended for environments of less than 100 physical servers - where as the full VMware Capacity Planner is typically run for 30 days against an Enterprise worth of physoical machines and has the capability to compare the data against a data warehouse of data over many years - in additions as part of the full capacity planner project there are a number of estimators that can eatimate the number of hosts you will need -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
jerry2096
Contributor
Contributor

But if our environment is not so large, say, around 20-40 servers. Can this lite version collect all these servers hardware utilizations (average CPU, memory, network) during a period of, ie. 30 days?

Is the lite version collecting data server by server, or collect a group of servers and making an average results? (We already have the ESX hosts, and just want to convert more, so actually we want to see if the other 20-40 can still be supported by the current farm. )

I know that capacity planner reports might be easy to use for planning a new farm, but can the reports combine with our current Farm utilizations?

thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

No this cannot be used for 30 days...as said earlier this is just a small version of the big software, and i dont think Vmware will like to give the complete package so easily... Smiley Wink

Regards

Anil

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

jerry2096
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much, Anil and weinstein5.

Both of your answers are helpful.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Your welcome Jerry...Go Green.......... Smiley Happy

Regards

Anil

0 Kudos