VMware Cloud Community
atlauren
Contributor
Contributor

Capacity Planner vs 2003 SP 2

Hello all,

Are their known issues with Capacity Planner 2.5.1 and Windows Server 2003 SP2?

I have CP running on an XP system. It can connect to the 2003/SP1 machines, but not to 2003/SP2. Local accounts on each remote server, the firewalls seem to be set up correctly... but CP can't talk to SP2.

Perchance has anyone encountered this already?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jagripino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't recall any specific problems with SP2...

I'm away from my "lab in a box" right now so I can't test this for you. Can you get more info on the error? How's the "test connection" report coming up for this server? Did you open a support ticket with VMware?

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

How did you install CP on the XP machine? Make sure that the systems can see each other by pinging the xp machine and pinging from XP machine to CP machine. Make sure your not on different SUBNETS. Check Local GPO security settings. I have ran into this issue once and all i did was un-install, reboot machine, re-install and it worked second time. Don't know why 😛

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
atlauren
Contributor
Contributor

How did you install CP on the XP machine? Make sure

that the systems can see each other by pinging the xp

machine and pinging from XP machine to CP machine.

Pings work.

Make sure your not on different SUBNETS.

Huh? I know for a fact that both machines I've tried CP on are on different subnets than the target machines -- both the Windows boxen and the Linux/UNIX boxen. Is there a subnet limitation in CP which I haven't been aware of until now?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

No,

You miss understood my answer. If on different subnets, make sure that they can see eachother.

Other items to check:

\- Verify all needed ports are open (tcp 135-139 & 445)

\- Try with a different id (ie local administrator)

\- Reload the performance counters with lodcrt /R as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956/

\- Get the exctrlst.exe tool (from Microsoft) to verify all the performance counters are indeed enabled.

\- Go into the registry and grant Full Control permissions/access to Local Service for

\* HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT \CurrentVersion\Perflib\.

\* HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg

\* We’ve also compared and matched permissions for every registry entry under these two.

Verified the permissions on c:\windows\system32\perf*009.dat files are the same for a non-working node as those in a working node

Verify with the local administrator that the GPOs applied to working and non working nodes are the same.

\- Look at the local GPO’s and see that they appear to match between working and non-working systems. Specifically, look at

1) Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Profile System Process

2) Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Profile System Performance

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos