VMware Cloud Community
batish
Contributor
Contributor

Capacity Planner error "type mismatch"

Hi all

I recently started a new CP process at one of my clients.

I install the collector and open a new CA assessment at the dashboard, setup the collector and performed discovery, inventory, performance and sync following the wizard.

when I perform manual tasks (any manual task) it work fine with no error, but when a scheduled task is trying to run (performance, inventory or sync) I get an error for each server like this:

"ERROR: An unexpected error occurred! Module = vcpSysPref Function = CollectSystemPerformance: Source = vcpSysPref Error = Type mismatch(13:0:1000013)"

This example is for the performance module, I get this error for each module that runs in schedule (again, if I run the task manually it is running fine), of course nothing is collected or synced to the dashboard.

I try VMware support but they have no clue why this is happening (they promise to return to me a month ago).

The CP version is 2.6.1.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert

The attachment you have inserted contains information regarding the site which some may consider sensative.

Strange problem. You say that it does work manually. Have you been able to get data into the dashboard with that method. Maybe try a different account to run the service on? What OS are you running the collector on? Have you tried a fresh install, even though its a bit drastic.

I have always found the list of common errors and resolutions of little use. Most problems relate to the access to the remote servers, the collector is usually very reliable.

Keep us informed of how you get on.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
batish
Contributor
Contributor

Have you been able to get data into the dashboard with that method - Yes

What OS are you running the collector on? - Windows XP SP2

Have you tried a fresh install? - No, but this PC is almost a fresh install.

and for the account, the srvice is running with a local admin account.

0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert

I would try it on a 2000 or 2003 box and use a domain admin account for the service. I know thats not much help for your current predicament but its what I would do.

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert

How did you go? Did you get it sorted yet?

0 Kudos
Franky_1969
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

i have the errors in my CP installation. So i am extremely interrested in a solution, because i left a non functional installation at my customer! Here my experiences:

After a complete new installation of the capacity planner, the same problem occur.

When you start the performance collection manualy, it works.

When you delete the mailfunctioning scheduled jobs and create them new, you can start them manualy with Options->Jos->Run Now, that also works.

When the jobs are started by the scheduler, the "type mismatch" error occur.

Here an example:

09/12/2008 15:59:07:2:2952: Performance: Collecting performance for system 'PHEVOS:43'

09/12/2008 15:59:08:0:2956: ERROR: An unexpected error occurred! Module = vcpSysPerf Function = CollectSystemPerformance: Source = vcpSysPerf Error = Type mismatch(13:0:1000013)

If anybody has a hint, please tell me, it's realy urgent!

Thanks

Regards

Frank

0 Kudos
Franky_1969
Contributor
Contributor

Hello anybody,

I found a solution for my problem.

The "type mismatch" error is caused by the remote configuration of the dashboard. I assume, that the dashboard tries to configure the Data Manager, but that fails and the result is a bad/not configured scheduled task.

With the following lines the desaster starts:

09/15/2008 12:50:13:1:1320: DataSync: Started Remote Configuration Job Task ID=226

09/15/2008 12:52:23:0:1320: Remote-Config.SendToDashboard: Send Data Failed with Error Number = 12002 and Error Description = The request has timed out.

09/15/2008 12:52:23:1:1320: DataSync: Finished Remote Configuration Job Task ID=226

After that error, each try to configure the scheduler is responded by an error:

09/15/2008 12:59:06:0:3948: ERROR: An unexpected error occurred! Module = VMware Capacity Planner Data Manager Function = GetJobTaskSetting (219:PerfForceRedisc.4B3E73D6-0FD6-3240-97EF-CF4C01A74730|219) Source = vcpDataMgr Error = Subscript out of range(9:0:1000009)

09/15/2008 13:00:28:0:3948: ERROR: An unexpected error occurred! Module = VMware Capacity Planner Data Manager Function = GetJobTaskSetting (219:PerfForceRedisc.6AE0265D-6BC9-9B4F-95D0-CE2FD7D66B4C|219) Source = vcpDataMgr Error = Subscript out of range(9:0:1000009)

09/15/2008 13:01:22:0:3948: ERROR: An unexpected error occurred! Module = VMware Capacity Planner Data Manager Function = AdjustSettings Source = vcpDataSync Error = Application-defined or object-defined error(440:0:1000095)

If then the scheduler starts the tasks, they create the "type mismatch" error!

Solution:

I have disabled the remote configuration option.

Chears

Frank

0 Kudos