VMware Cloud Community
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Capacity Planner collector

Is is possible to assign the same collector to two different customer id's without causing issues?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wathap
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Rob,

On the VMware Capacity Planner site, you could create system groups at Assessment - System Groups. Then you can configure the CE report to only select the group you want in the report.

It looks like you are using one collector to collect data from different location at different time period. You may also want to pick what time period is the best for your CE report.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe a collector can only be associated with a single customer id - what are you trying to do?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

NO not possible and yes you would have lots of issues if you tried it. I would also say it is a strange requirement -, why would you want a data collector to point at two different company ID's? You could create an additional data collector, collecting exactly the same data and point that at the other company ID - but what you would hope to achieve i am not sure.

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

0 Kudos
wathap
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same collector could be used for two customers without causing issues if you have purged the collector database after finish the first customer.

I am assuming you are working at first customer first then second customer. A collector could not be used for two customers at the same time.

0 Kudos
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm trying to provide a CE for just one location of what the collector is presently looking at. Can I provide a CE report for just one of the dozens of locations I'm presently collecting from?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can - you will be able to filter by server name

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 8, 2009, at 6:26 PM, "Rob Lisi" <communities-

0 Kudos
wathap
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Rob,

On the VMware Capacity Planner site, you could create system groups at Assessment - System Groups. Then you can configure the CE report to only select the group you want in the report.

It looks like you are using one collector to collect data from different location at different time period. You may also want to pick what time period is the best for your CE report.

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ROb i am not sure that you can filter for a CE report. But you can filter to perform your modelling scenarios - and i often do this as a customers requiremnets may have changed from the start of the assessment.

My understanding of a standard CE report is you can configure the 2 scenario models that are presented in the report but it will provide information on all the servers in the scope of the assessment. The CE - or consolidation estimator was devised by vmware at a time when customers had to pay for server licenses to perform a full CA - so a CE report would take a snapshot of a weeks worth of data and you would hope the quality of the information would convince the customer to go for a full CA and buy the licenses.

0 Kudos
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The company I'm collecting from is large with 56 different BU's at different geographic locations. I need to present reports to each BU because they budget independently. I tried what was suggested about the groups but I would have to delete all systems except the few I need for the report. I need a way to filter by location when I run a report.

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Rob

You can create groups and you can do this based on function such as business group - you just need to know the names of the servers for that business unit. Unfortuately there is no automated way of doing it so you will need to create 56 groups and populate them manually.

I will check on what you can do with a CE report and get back to you as i understood that the CE will provide info on all the servers in the scope of the analysis and not just a group you may have created.

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Rob

I have just tried it and i was correct - the CE report will be for all the information contained in the company ID. What you can do is create custom reports - so you can get the data you are looking for and only look at the systems in the groups you have created - there is a bit of work to create these reports - but then it is just a case of changing the group and rerunning the report.

WHat you can also do is on the screen with the graphs you can filter there on the groups you have created and the graphs and associated figures will adjust to display only that specific groups data. You could then cut and paste the graphs if thuis is the data the BU are interested in.

0 Kudos
wathap
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I was thinking that the CE report could pick the group to run, I am sorry that I am wrong. As amvmware indicated, the CE report will run with all the servers in the companyid. Then you may use Assessment - Manage Systems to activate/deactivate and pick only the group you want in the report. The group type should be "Domain Name Service (DNS)" though since the filter will not take the group type "Location".

For example,

1. create a group "ALL" which contains all the servers.

2. create group "BU_1", "BU_2", ... etc. with the group type "Domain Name Service (DNS)" and put appropriate servers into each group. If you have a lot of servers/group, you could try the Import... function also.

3. before running the report, go to Assessment - Manage Systems. Then select group "ALL" and disable all the servers, then select the BU group you want and enable the servers in the group. This might ease your pain a little.

0 Kudos