VMware Cloud Community
j_d_vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Capacity Planner bandwidth and utilization

Anyone know where I can find some stats for Capacity Planner Collector that shows how much overhead it puts on the systems that are being monitored?

James Dougherty
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

No stats that I'm aware of, but the overhead is negligible. The biggest overhead is in network traffic, and that's just a trickle until it gets aggregated.

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
VirtualElite
Contributor
Contributor

Per the Capacity Planner Installation Guide, you can expect peaks of 20KBps during the collection process for each data collector. This number is based on collecting approximately 500 counters from 4 target systems. Each Data Collector can have a maximum of 500 target systems (I would recommend no more than 250-300 per collector). With that in mind, you could see max network peaks of 2.5MBps per Data Collector.In practice, this is usually a lower number, but it's good to know what the maximum is for planning purposes.

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

Agree with previous comments - you don't install an agent on the systems to be monitored and generally inventory data is collected once a day and performance data 1 per hour from each server. CP does not impact server performance and when you consider that the majority of the servers are running at 7-9% utilisation - any resource utilisation on a server would be negligible.

Network traffic would increase during the data collection - but again never had a customer complain that the data transfer is impacting network performance.

0 Kudos