VMware Cloud Community
eric00
Contributor
Contributor

Capacity Planner - Used Disk Capacity not being inventoried

I've noticed on my last few Capacity Planner installs that the servers' Used Disk Capacity is not showing up. Servers are generally Windows 2003.

Any thoughts, or hints on that?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
eric00
Contributor
Contributor

Community: This question has not been answered. Is there no explanation for this behavior?

0 Kudos
lanamarkinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try using Lanamark Suite Services Edition. It will not only collect disk metrics but also help you with virtual disk and storage sizing.

0 Kudos
chadwickking
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Can you ensure that the windows performance counters are running? It used disk perfs to calculate capacity.

The number of disk transactions (I/O tranfers) per second.

The number of MBs transferred per second.

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Cheers, Chad King VCP4 Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking | virtualnoob.wordpress.com If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
lanamarkinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chad, Lanamark Suite performs several checks to make sure that all the key metrics are being collected. If you'd like we can give you a quick product demonstration to show you what kind of information is available. There is a Request a Webinar form online which you can use to request a demo.

0 Kudos
DaComputerguy
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same situation, it shows IO performance information, RAM/CPU utilization, but Disk size and available space - Zilch -Zip - Zero

This is on an Assessment with 30 Servers ??? It is using the latest version of DashBoard. - The Attachement shows an Example

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

The issue you have with network information missing - is unfortunately common, virtually all the CP's i have done for the last 18 months have had this data missing or incomplete and there is no pattern to it.

The data collector can collect data from two sources - WMI or registry - if it is able to collect using WMI it will not try the registry - even if data is missing.

Once the data collector is synchronised with the data warehouse the inventory scan is only looking for changes from the data collected - you might want to try doing a forced upload of the inventory again - you can do this from the collector.

As for the original question - it could be the performance counters are missing - if they are then there is a microsoft resource kit tool that will rebuild the counters on each server - this can be an issue if the servers have been built from images. But i would have thought this data is collected via the inventory - so, If you are missing storage data - it might be worth checking the collector and see if the inventory for the servers in question is showing as being able to be collected using WMI and the registry or just the registry - I think alot of these issue may be down to only being able to collect using the registry.

0 Kudos
DaComputerguy
Contributor
Contributor

That is a setting that I would be interested in learning,

Just so I can try it out, how do you select 'Registry Only' and "WMI and Registry"?

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

You dont select the setting - the data collector will first try using WMI - if it gets the inventory information then it is happy, if it does not then it will try the registry.

0 Kudos
whuber97
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can change this. In the CP data manager, go to the admin menu, and click options. Go to the modules tab and click on "inventory." Here you can click the "settings" button and change it so that it uses the registry always.

I've had to do this on a few recent assessments, as I was having issues collecting data via WMI. The registry method was able to get the disk statistics that I needed.

Thanks,

Will

vExpert 2012, 2013 | VCDX #81 | @huberw
0 Kudos
Suzan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I understand the issue correctly, you're getting performance data, just not disk capacity.

If that is the case, it's typically because you're connecting to everything except WMI, as stated in a post above.

To get your disk capacity, you'll need to fix the WMI issue, and do another manual inventory, then force a full export to the dashboard.

Have you checked to see if WMI is running on the target servers?  Give the service a restart?

0 Kudos