VMware Cloud Community
vKiller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Capacity Planner Tool Query

I have following queries on this tool:

1. Can we use multiple hardware template for a single scenario e.g. if I need to devise two types of hardware say low and high end and would like to place the VM accrodingly, is there any way available to achieve this?

2. If the server under assessment are getting their IP from DHCP server and if the servers under assessment go down during assessment and comes back later with diffferent IP how to corelate previous data?

3. In continuation of Question#2, what if IP address remains same. Will it be able to collect the data of the systems under assessment?

4. I need to understand the "Industry Averge" in detail. What is the basis of populating it and how it is mentioned as "Industry standard" without providing details.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rolohm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First. My experience from the Capacity Planner tool is a few releases old so you might want to dubble check what I say.

1. You have to decide what systems are low end and high end. Then you make one scenario using the "high end" group on high end hardware template. Then, obviosly, the low end group on low end hardware. To my knowledge there is no way for the Capacity Planner to automatically figure out what systems are low or high end and plce them on different hardware templates.

2. Capacity planner will then see that as two different systems, BUT, even if you have a DHCP based server park (which isn't so common actually) and the server has been down longer than the lease time set for the DHCP scope the first thing the server will ask for when it comes back is the permission to use the last, to it, known IP adress. So if that's not given to a new requestor the server will come up with it's old IP address in most cases.

3. Yes

4. The "Industry Average/Standard" is just statistical. E.g. if the average of 1000 SQL Servers out there show a specific behaviour and your SQL Server performes way differently (uses much more resources), then you might want to look into why your implementation is so different. To help you avoiding buying super-hardware just to accommodate a messed up SQL server when you might be happier with a slower, or less, hardware if you just fixed your SQL implementation. That's all.

/R

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rolohm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First. My experience from the Capacity Planner tool is a few releases old so you might want to dubble check what I say.

1. You have to decide what systems are low end and high end. Then you make one scenario using the "high end" group on high end hardware template. Then, obviosly, the low end group on low end hardware. To my knowledge there is no way for the Capacity Planner to automatically figure out what systems are low or high end and plce them on different hardware templates.

2. Capacity planner will then see that as two different systems, BUT, even if you have a DHCP based server park (which isn't so common actually) and the server has been down longer than the lease time set for the DHCP scope the first thing the server will ask for when it comes back is the permission to use the last, to it, known IP adress. So if that's not given to a new requestor the server will come up with it's old IP address in most cases.

3. Yes

4. The "Industry Average/Standard" is just statistical. E.g. if the average of 1000 SQL Servers out there show a specific behaviour and your SQL Server performes way differently (uses much more resources), then you might want to look into why your implementation is so different. To help you avoiding buying super-hardware just to accommodate a messed up SQL server when you might be happier with a slower, or less, hardware if you just fixed your SQL implementation. That's all.

/R

0 Kudos
dburgess
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Industry average is based on the samples we collect across the entire base - so it is the average value 'capacity planner' sees. So 'Industry average' might be a poor discription but is a very large sample.

0 Kudos