VMware Cloud Community
artem_rusin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Capacity Planner - Technical Documentation

I started using Capacity Planner, and as usually have some troubles with it. I founded some documentation on optimize.vmware.com, but it's really poor for trobleshooting metters. Do anybody know, where can I find some materials with expalnation of more than five error codes or more technical documentation. I was on a training, but it was not enough.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBaer
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

In my experience, contacting VMware support is the best way to figure out what the error codes mean -- and most of them are pretty generic anyway.

I believe all of the docs are contained on the optimize site. Smiley Sad

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DougBaer
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

In my experience, contacting VMware support is the best way to figure out what the error codes mean -- and most of them are pretty generic anyway.

I believe all of the docs are contained on the optimize site. Smiley Sad

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

the documentation is much better with 2.6 if you download the Data Collection Guide there is a whole section on error codes Page 127

Also try some of the suggestions here

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/68928

artem_rusin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for information,- I found there some useful materials.

I also found a support e-mail addre: 'cptrial -@- vmware.com' - I send them my logs, and maybe they find the problem.

0 Kudos
RickPollock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm just wondering ... are you using the Capacity Planner included with VC 2.5? How did you get a username and password for the optimize.vmware.com site? Where did you find the 2.6 manual?

0 Kudos
artem_rusin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To get username/password for site optimize.vmware.com and have ability to use Capacity Planner you must assest Capacity Planner training. On site optimize.vmware.com you will find documentation to CP.

0 Kudos
RickPollock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well this is ridiculous. Capacity Planner is now a part of the VI3 suite. The consolidation plug-in for VC uses this functionality. Do you think I want to travel to GA to take a class?? LOL - VMware this is a joke - release the doco for the products we have paid for!!

Can you post a link to the manual? I'm using it right not without any issue's. I dont really want an ID for the site...I can make my own graphs.

0 Kudos
artem_rusin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As far as I konw, you shouldn't go anywere to take a training course - it's presented also as an e-Learning. Capacity Planner is a free tool, but only trained personal may use it and do raports from site optimize.vmware.com.

Circle closed: Training -> Acreditation -> Account on optimize.vmware.com -> Access to manuals -> Using CP (because you are the trained person).

IMHO it's not really good, but also not ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

AFAIK the consolidation planner in VC is a different beast to what is used for Capacity Planner which is what is at optimize.vmware.

To get an account for optimize.vmware.com someone in an organisation must attend the physical two day course and pass the test. They then get an admin account. This person can then add other people in and these people can do the online course.

If you have any further specific questions I can email the Capacity Planner SE for APAC to get something clarified.

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
RickPollock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm using the consolidation manager plug-in for VC. All the data is being logged via Data Manager.

I dont have the ability to attend a class in GA at the moment. I dont understand why VMware would be so restrictive and off this class at only 1 location in the US.

I'll email my VMware rep and see if anything can be worked out.

0 Kudos