VMware Cloud Community
hayner
Contributor
Contributor

Capacity Planner - SSH logins using keys

Can anyone point me to a document or howto regarding capacity planner and SSH public key connections to Linux/Unix machines? There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the documentation, only about username/password logins.I know it has to be something to do with the PuTTY setup, but I have named sessions in there that CP seems to just ignore, and I don't know how to specify a username that is associatd with the PuTTY session.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Documentation is on the portal.

VMware Capacity Planner 2.6 Data Collection Guide - Page 48

You basically need to putty to the systems to cache the SSH keys into memory.

Putty saves the info to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\SshHostKeys

Because the keys are stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, they are unique to the logged-on user that effectively runs the PuTTY application. The only way the collector can access those keys is if it is running as the same user as PuTTY when it created the keys. This turns out to be the same user running the Data Manager.

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

0 Kudos
hayner
Contributor
Contributor

The "necessary keys" page 48 speaks about is not related to SSH keys for login purposes, though.. only host keys. The documentation doesn't reference public key as a means for authentication except in passing.

Even the section "Validating Linux and UNIX Systems", on page 80, is about authenticating the host, and not about non password logins.

0 Kudos
nishikimi
Contributor
Contributor

Dear hayner

I think this Knowledge Base airtcle is the answer of your problem.

Configure PuTTY's setting and try to connect linux/unix server.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1005556&sl...

0 Kudos