VMware Cloud Community
mduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Capacity Planner Erros

I have Capacity Planner running on 16 servers out of them 2 fail to connect, the servers are Windows 2003R2 SP2. First error is Perfmon error: specified object not found. The other error is a WMI error: RPC server unavailable (-2147023174) raised by SWbemLocator. Any tips to try would be great.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jagripino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I'm back Smiley Happy

I'm assuming you already checked this server for firewall and name resolution issues, so now the best course of action would be to rule out a problem with VMware CP itself (unlikely, judging by the error message, but still...)

Try to run this tool to check for WMI connectivity from the server you are running VMware CP to the target server:

http://www.fpschultze.de/PDdownloadssinglefile.cid3lid47.htm

Also, try to run this tools from a different server/workstation to rule out a problem with the OS on the server CP is installed.

If you get the same errors on all tests you'll know that there's a WMI problem on the target server and you can focus your troubleshooting on that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check your services and see if the RPC Server and WMI Services are started. Also are you running Windows Firewall on the server? You might try turning it off.

0 Kudos
mduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The services are running and the Firewall is not running.

0 Kudos
jagripino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is name resolution ok? Can you resolve the server NETBIOS and DNS names from the collector? Can you, under the account the collector is running, access a share on these two servers?

Are the errors you indicated coming from the report on the "test connection" option?

0 Kudos
jagripino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Other very uselful troubleshooting tips can be found on this thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=668240#668240

0 Kudos
mduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is name resolution ok? Can you resolve the server

NETBIOS and DNS names from the collector? Can you,

under the account the collector is running, access a

share on these two servers?

Are the errors you indicated coming from the report

on the "test connection" option?

Yes these errors are coming from the test connection option.

0 Kudos
jagripino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm, can you connect with perfmon from the server you are running capacity planner on to these servers?

If it connects and you can get a random performance counter then the problem may be on a specific performance counter on the target server, you could try reloading the counters as per the Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956/en-us.

I should have picked that up from your first error message, sorry!

mduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link it helped the server with the perfmon error. I still have one that is having the WMI query error still.

0 Kudos
jagripino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link it helped the server with the

perfmon error. I still have one that is having the

WMI query error still.

Great, don't forget to award the appropriate points for my message Smiley Happy I'll come back to this thread later to see how I can help you with the other server.

0 Kudos
jagripino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I'm back Smiley Happy

I'm assuming you already checked this server for firewall and name resolution issues, so now the best course of action would be to rule out a problem with VMware CP itself (unlikely, judging by the error message, but still...)

Try to run this tool to check for WMI connectivity from the server you are running VMware CP to the target server:

http://www.fpschultze.de/PDdownloadssinglefile.cid3lid47.htm

Also, try to run this tools from a different server/workstation to rule out a problem with the OS on the server CP is installed.

If you get the same errors on all tests you'll know that there's a WMI problem on the target server and you can focus your troubleshooting on that.

0 Kudos
mduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for all the help, it appears to be collecting data even with the WMI error.

Message was edited by:

mduncan

0 Kudos