VMware Cloud Community
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Capacity Planner Error: Registry did not return a valid connection.

I"m not sure what I'm missing here but I can't collect my inventory data for all of my systems. I am using a domain admin account and I have enabled all the ports 135-139 + 445 on the Windows FW. Remote Registry is running (I read that in a thread). However, I continue to get this error. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you tried what i suggested before - using the account you provided to the data collector for data collection, login to a windows PC or server and see if you can remotely connected to the registry or perform counters of one of the servers causing the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you right click on a system you have the option to do a connectivity test - try doing this on a system and it may give you a reason why it was not able to make the connection.

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was successful when I first did this test, but now when I try it shows FAILED on test Perf. Mon.

Unknown error. (The specified object is not found on the system)

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also continue to get this:

10/07/2009 15:42:15:1:1976: Module = VMware Capacity Planner Data Manager Function = OpenDatabase (C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Capacity Planner\AOGCapPlan.mdb) Source = Microsoft JET Database Engine Error = Cannot open database ''. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.(-2147467259:0:5003049)

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try stopping and starting the datacollector service and see if this clears the issue. You can also selectan option to repair the DB from the menu.

Other things to try.

Login to a PC\server with the data collector account used to connect to the servers and run perfmon and regedit and see if you cab remotely connect to the problem server. If you can then there is nothing wrong with the account or its access to the server.

Try installing another datacollector on another server as a test, and see if that resolves the problem.

I have seen these types of issues when the datacollector is XP or the language version of the OS's is not supported by the data collector.

You will also find that not all servers will return data. I tend to find that you will always get 2 or 3 servers that do not want to play ball and there is nothing you can do about it.

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have attempted restarting the services, and repairing the DB. Neither worked, I attempted to recreate the DB and on the new DB I get the exact same error. The only thing I can think of now is to follow this article (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1002445) and reboot the client machines. I know the DB is working because it collects data and sends it for the server that CP is running on, it just can't talk to any other servers.

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you can uninstall the datacollector and reinstall it and retain the configuration settings as long as you reinstall it to the same location as the first installation.

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm not sure why I would uninstall it, as its working, it just doesn't collect data on remote machines which sounds to me more like a communciation issue. I know CP is a good product but when it doesn't work... it doesn't work. I'll try uninstall tonight and see what happens.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The "Cannot open database" error is a known issue:

• KB 1005545 Troubleshooting a database error that appears while using Capacity Planner

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

BTW, a similar issue was reported here. Turned out that the Remote Registry service was disabled after all the other requirements were checked off.

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you tried what i suggested before - using the account you provided to the data collector for data collection, login to a windows PC or server and see if you can remotely connected to the registry or perform counters of one of the servers causing the problem.

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I'm hoping by disabling AV on that file that error will go away. However this brings me back to the larger issue, I am unable to scan any remote machines and the error I get on each and every one of them is "Registry did not return a valid connection." I rebooted some of those servers last night and this did not fix anything.

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I've seen that article. Remote Registry is the first thing I've checked on all systems. Followed by Firewall. These are not the culprits, FW is disabled RR is enabled.

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I have tried this, I can do anything with this account from a remote machine, just not through CP. I can connect to the registry, connect to perfmon, I have yet to find anything I can't do with the account I'm using to run CP. Now something to share is that I can see the registry from within CP (something I've read is a common error) so I'm not getting any permissions issue view the registy of the systems I'm trying to capture.

So, I'm getting that, however I have no hardware data, and I can't collect any performance monitors from within CP, I get a ton of errors when I try to collect those. I'm trying to take this one error at a time, I figure if I can fix the Inventory Task then maybe the Performance Task will also get fixed.

Here is a screen shot of an inventory task:

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, I'm a complete and utter failure as a human being. I've been testing EVERYTHING but the obvious. A freaking typeo in the account used to run the service, I was testing the wrong freaking service account, and of course when i manually tested it it worked fine because I was using the right account to manual test. I just happened to doublecheck the service account it was running under and noticed it wasn't right. I fail, thank you for keeping me to the basics.

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No worries - i must admit you had me going as it seemed a strange scenario that none of the servers would provide you with data.

0 Kudos