VMware Cloud Community
ccostan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Capacity Planner Database IDs.

Not sure which topic to post under but :

With the Capacity Planner Agent Collector, what is the easiest way to generate a new Database ID? I have the collector as a VM that I use for multiple clients and need a quick way to generate a new DB id for each installation.

Thanks.

CARLO.

Carlo Costanzo | http://www.VMwareInfo.com | @ccostan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

not sure if this answers the question but maybe worth a try, its just from my notes of the course

However the access dbase could be stored on a laptop. By stopping the data collection service you can then rename the dbase and it automatically creates a new AOGCapPlan.mdb which will have a new Dbase ID which can then be linked to the clients record in the Data Warehouse.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Not sure the CP Agent works that way, although ive only ever done single installs..

I think (but not totally sure) you only get one DB ID: per install..

As the collector uses AD, DNS, LAN Manager etc to do an inventory, if you threw it at multiple clients, im sure it would simply pickup every Domain and workgroup out there..

Therefore how would it be able to diferentiaite your clients, which it would have to do before sending Stats to Collector Warehouse..

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Luckily I never had to use CP personally. Anyway, not sure if this is relevant, but according to my old docs from CP 2.1.0:

"If this is to be a new assessment effort, with no consideration of previously-discovered, or previously-collected data, then you should ensure that the previous installation is completely "cleaned" off your host system".

0 Kudos
ccostan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure the CP Agent works that way, although ive

only ever done single installs..

I think (but not totally sure) you only get one DB

ID: per install..

As the collector uses AD, DNS, LAN Manager etc to do

an inventory, if you threw it at multiple clients, im

sure it would simply pickup every Domain and

workgroup out there..

Therefore how would it be able to diferentiaite your

clients, which it would have to do before sending

Stats to Collector Warehouse..

Thanks for the responses!

The way I currently have it, The CP is a VM that I saved EXACTLY after installation and after a couple of tweaks and so forth but BEFORE any data collection.

When I only have 1 active CP running, I am able to copy this image up to a workstation or whatever, import the server list to be monitored, and re-assign the DB ID at the warehouse level (remove it from one company and add it to another). The collector begins to collect data and sends it to the right company ID at the warehouse. This works fine when I have 1 active CP.

Now that I am beginning to have multiple ones running at a time at different companies, I needed a way to generate a new DB ID for the VM (which is essentially a fresh install from the VM's perspective) - I guess I'll have to do a little digging to see where that DB ID is stored and see if I can change it by hand.

Although I am still open to ideas and suggestions. Smiley Happy

Carlo.

0 Kudos
Nicke
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

While on the CapacityPlanner training course I tried to acheive just that. The result was that I had to uninstall CapacityPlanner aswell as delete the program directory (c:\program files\vmware\capacity Planner if memory serves me right). It will not be enough just to uninstall/reinstall, you need to delete the directory as well. I did the tests on version 2.1 but it should be the same approach for version 2.5.

/Nicke

Niclas Borgström
Arrow ECS Sweden
0 Kudos
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

not sure if this answers the question but maybe worth a try, its just from my notes of the course

However the access dbase could be stored on a laptop. By stopping the data collection service you can then rename the dbase and it automatically creates a new AOGCapPlan.mdb which will have a new Dbase ID which can then be linked to the clients record in the Data Warehouse.

0 Kudos
ccostan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

not sure if this answers the question but maybe worth

a try, its just from my notes of the course

However the access dbase could be stored on a laptop.

By stopping the data collection service you can then

rename the dbase and it automatically creates a new

AOGCapPlan.mdb which will have a new Dbase ID which

can then be linked to the clients record in the Data

Warehouse.

That was totally it. Stopped the service, deleted the MDBs, Restarted the service and BANG - New DB ID.

Thanks.

CARLO.

0 Kudos