VMware Cloud Community
TomSCL
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get XVS nodes to sync

I've trying to get an Xtravirt XVS setup running, I've created the 2 XVS virtual machines and attached second virtual harddrives to them for the storage. I then boot up the 2 nodes and go to configure them using the default IP config (192.168.1.1 iscsi & 192.168.1.11 heartbeat on node 1 and 192.168.1.2 iscsi & 192.168.1.12 heartbeat on node 2), so far so good.

The next step is to Configure the XVS disk this is where I first see an error, what happens is it shuts down ntpd then tries to sync the time (presumeably from the other node), this fails, the node then restarts ntpd and configures the disk.

The next step is then to sync the disks and this is where is all goes wrong. I set the first node to sync and it waits, I then set the second one and both systems got to a sync screen similar to the one in the XVS documentation, however the 6th line with the text based progress bar is missing and these screens just sit there indefinitely.

I've tried ping the various IP addresses from other machines and I can ping the heartbeat addresses (192.168.1.11 & 192.168.1.12) but not iscsi ones (192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2).

I then logged into the troubleshooting console on the nodes and ran an ifconfig which show only the heartbeat addresses configured.

So my questions are:

a) has anybody had the same problem and how was it fixed.

b) should the iscsi addresses be configured/pingable or do they only come up once the disk has sync'd?

c) does the sync happen over the iscsi address or the heartbeat one?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me a with this!

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

I would contact the people at Xtravirt.com for assistance with XVS.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos