VMware Cloud Community
amarnathreddy19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can We do Cluster between 3.5 ESX Standard and 3.5 ESX Enterpise edition

i have quick question

can we do cluster between (HA and DRS) 3.5 esx standard and 3.5 esx enterprise edition

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ESX Standard and Enterprise are the same product, (in fact installed from the same media), just different licenses - i.e. VMotion and DRS etc. are just not enabled in Standard.

According to the link provided HA is part of the Standard license, so yes.

Caveat - You might want Vmware to confirm this for you before you buy them.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No, because ESX standard does not include VMotion, HA or DRS.

You could license these separately, but it would work out cheaper to buy enterprise, or to upgrade your standard to enterprise.

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi - sorry, to correct myself, it looks like HA is included with Standard, but Vmotion and DRS are not.

You can get more info here.

0 Kudos
amarnathreddy19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So can I have a HA between Enterprise and standard ESX servers?

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ESX Standard and Enterprise are the same product, (in fact installed from the same media), just different licenses - i.e. VMotion and DRS etc. are just not enabled in Standard.

According to the link provided HA is part of the Standard license, so yes.

Caveat - You might want Vmware to confirm this for you before you buy them.

0 Kudos
Joshua_Mally
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, you can Amar!!! Smiley Happy

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! -Josh Trying to learn 🙂
0 Kudos
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You dont have DRS capabilities in standard edition. HA would work.

Refer to this link for further clarification.

http://www.vmware.com/products/vi/buy.html

Can you be more specific as what type of cluster are you planning to set up with different licences are you confusing this with SRM???

Hope this helps!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos