VMware Cloud Community
EricBryant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Calling all Experts! Need VMware vs XenApp material

Hello,

My company is about to make a decision on moving forward with either fully licensed VMware or XenApp and I need some expert points to sway the argument for VMware. We have 24 servers, 3 are Citrix servers with a total of 40 users between all 3 servers. Overall we have 75 users total with 40 being remote (on Citrix) and we have 1 Exchange server, 1 file server, and 20 SQL databases on 3 servers, other typical servers are backup, phone system, etc.. Our VAR is Citrix-crazy and has been talking trash on VMware since the get-go.

The commitment here has been to send me to VMware class from which I got VCP (awesome!) There is already $25k in our budget for 2009 to BUY VMware, but management is stalling because of the influence of this VAR. Anything you have for me would be great as I do not have Xen experience nor enough VMware experience, either! We have 3 servers virtualized and running well on ESX-3i. I also installed ESX-4i on a spare box last week.

Thanks all!

Eric

Web Design & Internet Marketing http://www.corezero.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well, I've work on both but would prefer to use VMware if possible due to the fact, its very scalable, performance and reliable. You know almost all fortune 100, 500 and 1000 are using VMware as their data center solution just because it's proven and reliable throughout and they have a lot more solutions you can engage such as View, LM, SRM, ThinApp, vShield Zones, VDR these are pretty much one stop service to all. I do like Xen App 5.0 and its a great proven application virtualization along with Softgrid and ThinApp. Are you comparing with Xen Enterprise & vSphere?

The best person to help you pursuade your boss is VMware Sales Engineer or VAC partner, they specially trained with these areas and have great pitched and weaknesses that they can throw at Citrix competitives anytime. I've took VMware Sales Professional online and its really great program and has a lot of good training and great information about competitive. I would ask VMware Sales Engineer to come in and present for free and they will answer any questions you may have and will get you secure with VMware solution.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Eric,

This link should be helpful:

Please award points, if you find this post helpful.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well, I've work on both but would prefer to use VMware if possible due to the fact, its very scalable, performance and reliable. You know almost all fortune 100, 500 and 1000 are using VMware as their data center solution just because it's proven and reliable throughout and they have a lot more solutions you can engage such as View, LM, SRM, ThinApp, vShield Zones, VDR these are pretty much one stop service to all. I do like Xen App 5.0 and its a great proven application virtualization along with Softgrid and ThinApp. Are you comparing with Xen Enterprise & vSphere?

The best person to help you pursuade your boss is VMware Sales Engineer or VAC partner, they specially trained with these areas and have great pitched and weaknesses that they can throw at Citrix competitives anytime. I've took VMware Sales Professional online and its really great program and has a lot of good training and great information about competitive. I would ask VMware Sales Engineer to come in and present for free and they will answer any questions you may have and will get you secure with VMware solution.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos