VMware Cloud Community
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Best way to move VM from an old Blade environment to a NEW one

So this is my chance to really do it right this time. I'm San Antonio and we have all our VM's on an older blade environment.

Now I have a new C-class blades and want to figure out the best way of moving VM's from the old env. to the new one. The older blades are running ESX 3.0 and the new ones are running ESX 3.5

How should I attack this move? So far I've brought up a new VC server and added some of the new blades to the new cluster.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The method discussed will effectively achieve what they are looking for and cleanup any undesirables that may be present.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So the time has come to move the VM's from the older P class to the newer C class. I just wanted to ask one mroe question and post my intended method of attack for this project.

Current environment:

1) Currently all VM's are running on P class blades.

2) I already have the new VC server built and have already added some of the new C class blades and created a new cluster.

My plan:

1) Add one of the new blades to the older VC server that is managing the P class environment

2) Vmotion some VM's from the P class blade to the newly added C class blade I just connected to the P class environment

3) Now re-add the Pclass blade with the recently vmotioned VM's back to the new VC 2.5 server.

4) Continue doing this until all the VM's are off the P class and onto the C class blades

Does this sound like I'm on track?

Thanks!

0 Kudos