VMware Cloud Community
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Best way to migrate data... Opinion please..

Guys,

I am working on a solution for a customer who needs to move data from existing SAN to a new SAN.

Existing SAN is attached to ESX farm and is located far away from the location of a new SAN. In your opinion, what is the best way to move data without disruption to the ESX farm's VMs?

I know we can possibly do SAN replication, but at this moment I do not know if the SAN's are even the same vendor.

I know we can do Storage VMotion. In that case we'd need to present the new SAN somehow to the existing ESX servers.

I know we can probably use Converter to migrate VMs. This may take a while considering we would be going over WAN.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your input!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

With 4TB of data, I wouldn't spend on SAN replication or WAN optimization solution though, and it can fly quickly with 4TB of data as you will be using storage vmotion which basically depends how your WAN links are, so if its fast than go for it. there's not other free solution then this but if you can somehow manage to do system state backup of all the VMs, then you can ship those backup data to remote locations and import and register it back to clusters. Have you do actual calculation how fast you can tranfser data from siteA ->siteB mbps? that will give you a clear picture how long it will take and plan it from there. I would do this during maintenance windows or weekend that are less impact to users and systems!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

How much data does it need to be replicated? If its too much I would look into SAN replication solution and it also depends on your WAN links as well. You're right using Storage VMotion and P2V converter would help in this case but transmission rate is slower than LUN replications. There are WAN optimization solution like Riverbed that helps you speed up the WAN transmission of data if you check them out. Also, want to look at Platespin and Double-Take if anything that interest you. I would go with Storage VMotion for flexibility and free aspect of it.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Stefan,

That is what I suggested to a customer as well. Storage VMotion has the right price! Smiley Happy It also allows to migrate VMs without interruption. That is very important to this customer.

My main concern is that it would take a while. I believe customer has about 4TB of data and a pretty decent WAN link. But, unfortunately, at this moment I do not have exact numbers.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

With 4TB of data, I wouldn't spend on SAN replication or WAN optimization solution though, and it can fly quickly with 4TB of data as you will be using storage vmotion which basically depends how your WAN links are, so if its fast than go for it. there's not other free solution then this but if you can somehow manage to do system state backup of all the VMs, then you can ship those backup data to remote locations and import and register it back to clusters. Have you do actual calculation how fast you can tranfser data from siteA ->siteB mbps? that will give you a clear picture how long it will take and plan it from there. I would do this during maintenance windows or weekend that are less impact to users and systems!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would say svmotion would be a way to go but you should do it out of hours though!!.

If its just 4TB and this has to be done only once i wouldn't suggest to spend on relpication tool or application.

I think it should be pretty straightforward doing svmotion keeping in mind that there are no large RDMs which are not a part of 4 TB figure Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you all for a very valuable input!

It looks like my thinking was on par with the rest of the community. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
ericmba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vitayly,

SAN replication should be the way forward. A LUN is a LUN no matter what vendor it sits on. If the new SAN has got a new vendor then my bet is that the new vendor will have a migration tool ready. Also, so long these two SANs sit on the same zone/swich you should be able to present a new LUN on the new SAN and storage vmotion across. When it comes to distance distance should not be a problem so long its on the same SAN.

Have you got more info about the vendor and all that jazz?

Eric

0 Kudos