VMware Cloud Community
michelemase
Contributor
Contributor

Best pratices esx networking

I've a vsphere cluster infrastructure (it's a test environment, not a production one), made by 6 esxi each one with 4 gbit ethernet.

Considering the following: one networking for server console; one for vmotion; one for vmkernel (external iscsi storage); one for virtual machines.

Which is the (best/suggested) configuration?

a) 4 dedicated intefaces (4 vswitch), one for service

b) one 4 nics etherchannel (1 vswitch), with 4 vlans rules

c) considering vmkernel and vmotion should not stay together, 1 2nics vswitch for vmotion and service console, 1 2nics for vmkernel and virtual machines

d) considering vmkernel and vmotion should not stay together, 1 2nics

vswitch for vmotion and virtual machbines, 1 2nics for vmkernel and service console

e) none of above

Regards Michele

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

F. Buy a few quad port nics?

If buying more hardware is not an option, I would go for option d. I would not want the iSCSI storage to contend with the LAN traffic for the VM's. I would rather have vmotion contend as it will occur less often.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Here is an indepth discussion of virtual networking details you can check it out. it has 7 part series which is one of the best blog article I've read.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Even though 4 NICs generally work fine, but suggest to have at least 6 NICs which 2 built in and 1 quad port NICs would work just great. Depends how many networks you're going to deploy but generally speaking, any port group/network should have 2 NICs for redunancy purposes.

1. pNIC1-2->SC/VMotion

2. pNIC3-4->VM Network

3. pNIC5-6->iSCSI/Backup/DMZ etc..

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
michelemase
Contributor
Contributor

1. Test environment means no chance to buy new hardware = yes, only 4 nics Smiley Happy

2. The article you suggested me, shows two vsvitch, one made by service consolevmotionvkernel and one for vmachines.

I'dont'know what happens to vkernel network if vmotion starts a migration ... maybe a little vm's hang?

For this reason I'm not agree to put vmotion and vkernel together.

Michele

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I still vote option D then. I think it will give you the performance you want as well as the ability to test the failover features of the vSwitch nic teaming.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
that1guynick
Contributor
Contributor

Well, when you first load it up, you're going to have one vmnic attached to the Service Console and the default VM Port Group.

Delete the VM port group, leaving the SC with one vmnic

Click Add Networking, and add a new VMkernel. Give it an IP (preferably one on a segregated storage network, be that a separate switch or VLAN). Check the box that says "Use this for vMotion."

Click Properties above this new VMkernel, and add another Service Console (name it Service Console 2) and give it an IP in your VM LAN (i.e. NOT the storage VLAN if you're separating the two)

Click Add Networking, and add a new Port Group.

Leave the one vmnic assigned to the original service console. This should be the interface/IP you use to manage host.

It's up to you what to do with the other three. Do you want to have 2 vmnics on the storage? I would, personally, because if you lose the link to your storage, your VM's go kaput.

So that leaves 1 vmnic to assign to the VM port group.

-Nick

Go virtual, or go home.

Go virtual, or go home.
0 Kudos