VMware Cloud Community
virtualbot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best Storage Solution???

Hello everyone,

We are planning to procure storage to set up our new virtual environment. We are looking for fibre channel storage. We should be good with 15 to 20 TB and will be supporting roughly 70 VMs on 6 to 7 hosts. It is all in the test environment. So which would be the best storage solution keeping in mind "above avg performance and cheaper price"???

TIA

Virtualbot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If I was you, reach out to Compellent, Xiotech, Pillar Data, EMC, and Netapp. Just realize the bigger players may get aggressive to get their product inside your door.

http://www.infoworld.com/slideshow/2008/01/150-2008_technology-1.html

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You may have to realize that pricing will vary heavily between markets (e.g. NY Metro area compared to Iowa). Where are you based out of? You will definitely reach out to those in your areas. A colleague of mine decided on an EMC solution which came cheaper than others he was evaluating. He was evaluating Xiotech, Compellent, NetApp, and EMC. I'm in process in looking at Pillar Data, Xiotech, and Compellent.

0 Kudos
virtualbot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am in Nevada!!!

0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If I was you, reach out to Compellent, Xiotech, Pillar Data, EMC, and Netapp. Just realize the bigger players may get aggressive to get their product inside your door.

http://www.infoworld.com/slideshow/2008/01/150-2008_technology-1.html

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As others said, reach out.

Some things to keep in mind.

Long term costs! How much is support for this device, per year? How much to add X feature to the box? How much per TB to add to this(yes, you said 20T, but next year, you will be thinking about adding more, trust me). All of these play as big, or bigger a part than the upfront costs.

Personally, I use IBM and EMC exclusively, though I've used a lot of others in the past. I hate the software of EMC, but their hardware is top notch, and fast to boot. IBM, I really like their software, but I'm not the biggest fan of the hardware( I don't think I should have to bring down the hosts to do a firmware upgrade, even on high end of the midrange gear. I'm used to EMC where you keep rocking no matter what. Now, that in mind, you will have to decide what level to get your gear at, and most likely it will be midrange(do you need an enterprise frame for a lab?), so most any of these will be good vendors

Edit to add, "fast to boot", is a colloquialism, southern US. "to boot", means in addition to, or an extra benefit...I only say this because I didn't want anyone to think an EMC boots up fast, because it does not, by any stretch of the imagination.....

Message was edited by: williambishop

--"Non Temetis Messor."
virtualbot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANQ GUYS!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos