VMware Cloud Community
atrussokc
Contributor
Contributor

Backup solutions for vm and vmdk backups

I am curious about the various backup solutions that others are using to backup their VMs. I have evaluated vRanger (now called something different I think), looked briefly at ESXpress and Veeam backup. Have also heard many good things about Avamar as a way to backup VMs. What are some of the solutions that you are using and why did you select that solution. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Tony Russell

Sonic

0 Kudos
8 Replies
VeeamMark
Contributor
Contributor

Tony,

I work for Veeam, so I am a bit biased, but I would be glad to show you a demo, or help you install it in your test lab to show off what we can do. I am in OKC frequently, and would be glad to meet with you if interested.

Mark Carroll

0 Kudos
Blazzik
Contributor
Contributor

Mark, I would be intersted to see what you have to offer. We have a few ESXi machines that need a better solution.

0 Kudos
mcarroll
Contributor
Contributor

Blazzik,

Just left you a private message. Feel free to email me, or send me your contact details. I will be back up in OKC after Thanksgiving, but can web-ex or discussion your solution before that via phone.

Mark Carroll

Solution Architect

Veeam

Mark Carroll Solution Architect Veeam
0 Kudos
Blazzik
Contributor
Contributor

Great! Thanks Mark. I currenly use the Veeam Monitor and it works great. I would love to try Veeam Backup. I'll take a look at your message and get back with you.

0 Kudos
Thomas_Tucker
Contributor
Contributor

We're a TSM shop and continue to backup our current VM's just like any other server. I would be curious to see if anybody else is using TSM and how they to thier VMware backups.

-Thom

0 Kudos
nelstc
Contributor
Contributor

We back our TSM stuff up the same way, traditional model. We have looked at VCB solutions, have not had the time or resources to implement a snapshot based backup system.

Tyler Nelson - INTEGRIS Health

0 Kudos
RunnerManHere
Contributor
Contributor

The most cost-effective solution I have come across is BackupChain.

It saves space by creating compressed (and encrypted) deltas of your VMs, so only changes need to be stored.

Then you can also send off your deltas using the built-in FTP system. It also has a FTP server so you can receive files from other machines if needed.

As a bonus, it can do all that while the virtual machine is running!

Sav

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I am moving this to the vSphere forums

There are many ways to skin this particular cat. some of my customers have just continued with there in guest backup strategy, some use Veeam, some esXpress, other vizoncore

one vendor that interests me is Symantec - they showed a VM aware backup that backed up straight to tape, often considered the missing link in Veeam, esXpress, vizioncore, etc.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos