VMware Cloud Community
jpedrocarvalho
Contributor
Contributor

Backup Plan and Software

Hi,

I just bought a esx solution, and have been going throw all the points. Now I have to deal with Backup.

Our solution is going to run:

\- AD Server

\- Isa Server

\- Exchange 2007

\- Sql 2005

\- Blackberry

\- File Server

What should I use to backup all this.

Reading the forum I was thinking of using:

eXpress - to backup all VM to a separate LUN.

Backup Exec - to backup AD, Exchange Mail, Sql Databases and Files.

We also bought a tape library, so everything from Backup Exec would be backup directly to the tape.

Then the backup Vm's would be copied from the LUN to tape to.

What do you think?

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
boydd
Champion
Champion

Is the BE server a separate pServer (Recommended)? I would use vizioncores product (esxRanger)? You'll then wind up with two types of backups.

DB

DB
0 Kudos
lapo-guy
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have nearly the same questions as jpedrocarvalho.

We want to implement an ESX server using a SAN for the VMDKs of our servers.

We just have ESX 3 server, not the infrastructure package.

I wonder if it is possible to do a full backup of all these servers while they are still running to a NAS for Distaster Recovery. And then copy those VMs to tape for DR too.

I saw on the forums many ideas like esxRanger or eXpress but I wonder is their is no other possibilities with esx server to do hot backup without another licence. Is it possible to do so with scripts ?

Ours servers are:

-Windows server 2003 Domain Controler

-Exchange server 2003

-SQL 2005

-File Server

I had backup strategy too that look like jpedrocarvalho one:

1. Create empty servers and backup them to tape

2. Migrate all the data and databases for AD, Exhange, sql2005... to those news virtual servers

3. Use Backup Exec to backup all the modified data everyday or something.

4. When a disaster come, we just have to take our blank VMs servers and then import the data from backup Exec.

I hope I explained myself well.

What do you think ?

Thanks for your help too.

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion

I hate to solely rely on tape (too many bad experiences with.... Smiley Wink ). If you can replicate the vm's - better yet. Or, at least backup the whole vm (vmdk's). We do all of these (depending on criticality of the vm's).

We use a bunch of different products to accomplish all of this.

DB

DB
0 Kudos
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a Tivoli running on Data Domain hardware solutions (one on site and one offsite). I installed the software on the VM's and ran it across a management VLAN to separate the traffic (staggered of course). It seems to be working great so far. Definitely back up your data to a separate SAN if you can.

0 Kudos
jpedrocarvalho
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I know I'll have to types of backup.

But one is to restore the intire VM. The other will be for the typical, recover 1 file, 1 mailbox, 1 sql database.

The BK server is pServer. We bought 2 new server for ESX. And the 2 we already have are going to be for Virtual Center and Backup.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We use esxpress in our environment, works great. Many different VMs being backup up ( Oracle database, File Shares, Web servers, print servers etc). We send our backups to a central ftp (backup server) and then get written to tape from there. We do keep as many backups on disk on the backup server so if we need a restore we usually only need to restore from disk and not go to tape.

Also esXpress has just recently released a beta for handling File Level Backups as well. With this new beta esxpress now can handle both sides of backup requirements, the vmdk (full and delta ) as well File Level. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can use VCB (~$500 or free w/ Enterprise edition) and a physical proxy server. If you have enough SAN space, do disk-to-disk full VM backups to an NTFS volume on the SAN. Then back up the datastores from there to tape w/ Backup Exec. If not enough SAN space then back up to local disk on the proxy, but it will be much slower. Leave the VM backups on the proxy disk till they are overwritten the next night, and you can use the workstation tool vmware-mount to mount a vmdk locally as a drive letter. That will allow you to do file/folder restores as needed from Windows Explorer on the proxy. Not officially supported and doesn't work GUI, but works spendidly from CLI.

The only drawback to this is that is takes a long time to do a vcbRestore if you need to restore a whole VM. You can always do an extra copy to a VMFS volume too to reduce that full-VM restore time, but then you're taking 2x SAN space for backups.

0 Kudos
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are looking for a cost-effectiveness Tivoli is a great solution. We pay 27 bucks per server! Not too bad on setup either.

Please award points is this is helpful.

Justin

0 Kudos
jpedrocarvalho
Contributor
Contributor

If you are looking for a cost-effectiveness Tivoli is

a great solution. We pay 27 bucks per server! Not

too bad on setup either.

Please award points is this is helpful.

Justin

27 Bucks per month or year? People usualy say Tivoli is very expensive.

0 Kudos
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

not here. although it might be cheaper because we are a public school system

0 Kudos
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

not here. although it might be cheaper because we are a public school system

0 Kudos