VMware Cloud Community
rarrar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Backing up VM's...Stuck and need advice

Hi, I have a single VI3.5 Foundation Server, it says VCB is included, but now I've just noticed that you need Virtual Centre to use it...DAMN! (Also update manager).

I have another machine to use as a Backup Proxy. What would be the best way to do backups of whole VM's to the backup Server. I will be doing file level backup anyway within the VM's, but would like a full backup done too of the VM.

Help!?!?!!?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
celak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi rarrar,

One of the available backup option without "Virtual Center" and "VCB" is vcbMounter executable itself.

Please refer to the official VM Backup Guide(Using Service Console to Back Up and Restore Virtual Machines) and try one of the following methods :

In both ways you need enough temp space on your ESX server and on your backup server. Use YOUR_VM_NAME as virtual machine's name displayed in VI client. Dedicated gigabit backup network is highly recommended.

First configure your ESX server backup environment (tailor the /etc/vmware/backuptools.conf according to VM Backup Guide)

WAY 1 ) If your backup server is running on Linux or any flavour of UNIX capable of SSH/SCP functionality, try this one:

On your ESX host

esxcfg-firewall -e sshClient (allow outgoing SSH packets then test connectivity)

vcbMounter -a name:YOUR_VM_NAME -r scp://root@backupserver.yourcompany.com:/home/BACKUP-AREA/
(this command will first snapshot YOUR_VM_NAME, split vmdk file into 2gbsparse format into ESX servers backup temp area then sends these files to your backup server's /home/BACKUP-AREA directory via SCP)
when transfer completes, vcbMounter automatically removes snapshots. This method every time works perfectly for me.

WAY 2) If your backup server is running on Windows, first create a regular windows network share (or create a windows NFS share) on your backup server and try this one:

On your ESX host
esxcfg-firewall -e nfsClient
Mount your backup server's windows or NFS share under any available directory (for example /esxtrans )
vcbMounter -a name:YOUR_VM_NAME -r /esxtrans
(this command will first snapshot YOUR_VM_NAME, split vmdk file into 2gbsparse format into ESX servers backup temp area then sends these files to your backup server's share /esxtrans directory via regular copy)
Unmount /esxtrans when your backup task completes. Snapshots always removed automatically by vcbMounter.

Then you can specify a new backup job with your backup software and take backup of your /home/BACKUP-AREA or Windows share folder.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

To the best of my knowledge, you don't need virtual center to use VCB. I have used VCB to connect to individual ESX servers as well as to the VC itself. Connecting to the VC itself is preferred, imho, as you can then access all VM's from a single point, regardless which ESX server they are currently hosted on. However, I have tested, and successfully connected via VCB to individual ESX servers from the proxy. Since you have only one ESX server, this shouldn't be an issue. How are you connecting to your datastore from your ESX server? The proxy needs to have access to that datastore by the same name as the ESX server, we use FC to connect both our ESX servers and the proxy to the SAN LUN in question. Then it's a matter of installing VCB on that proxy, and then using VCBMounter.exe to connect to the datastore at either a file level or fullvm level. Or, if that proxy has a compatible backup software package installed, using that software to launch VCBMounter to access the VMFS partition.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
rarrar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did think you could use vcb on ESX only, it was just I was looking at and noticed the little point at the bottom which confused me.

I currently only have local storage on the ESX and was going to use a dedicated NIC / virtual switch for a 2nd console and use a crossover cable to the backup proxy server on its own little LAN. So that will be purely used for backing up. That's the plan anyway.

Better download the Backup Guide and go through it!!! although I'm sure it only discusses it from a VirtualCentre point of view. But I will check that!

When you say the proxy needs to have access to the datastore, how do you mean exactly?

And if I wanted to use a crossover cable on its own LAN, but it needs to resolve the ESX name correctly then I'll probably won't be able to use a crossover?? Am I following right!

Thanks for the quick response.

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't know about Foundation server... We have ESX servers connected via Fibre channel HBA's to a LUN on a Netapp SAN. The proxy server is another Windows server that also is Fibre connected to the same SAN, same LUN. That LUN has the VMFS partition on it that hosts the VM's. From the Proxy server, VCB is used to mount either the fullVM or file level VM. Then tape backup software, or whatever, can be used to back up those files. To the best of my knowledge VCB works over Fibre channel and iSCSI only. When you say use a crossover cable, that sounds like you are wanting to do a backup over ethernet. I am not sure you can do what you are wanting to do, with the hardware/software you are using.

0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As an alternative to VCB you can look at

• esXpress which is free for full backups

• Vizioncore vRangerPro

I have had great success with vRangerPro. Both are popular.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
cneville
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rarrar;

I use esxpress from http://www.esxpress.com for several of my customers, from 1 esx server to 17 esx servers. It works very well and is easy to use. They have a free version that only does full backups or their light version with costs under $500.00, up to an enterprise version with all kinds of capabilities. I have used it in the past to recover VM's, move VM's across the WAN for a DR solution, replicate VM's and more. I currently use it in a DR solution where we are pushing a couple of very critical SQL VM's across a T-1 to a DR site. We are using esxpress and a WAN optimization product to move about 105GB across a T-1 doing a full replication on weekends that takes about 24-30 hours and doing incrementals the other nights. We are using the light version of esxpress for this.

If you need more info on it or need some help with it, either post or contact me offline.

Chuck

celak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi rarrar,

One of the available backup option without "Virtual Center" and "VCB" is vcbMounter executable itself.

Please refer to the official VM Backup Guide(Using Service Console to Back Up and Restore Virtual Machines) and try one of the following methods :

In both ways you need enough temp space on your ESX server and on your backup server. Use YOUR_VM_NAME as virtual machine's name displayed in VI client. Dedicated gigabit backup network is highly recommended.

First configure your ESX server backup environment (tailor the /etc/vmware/backuptools.conf according to VM Backup Guide)

WAY 1 ) If your backup server is running on Linux or any flavour of UNIX capable of SSH/SCP functionality, try this one:

On your ESX host

esxcfg-firewall -e sshClient (allow outgoing SSH packets then test connectivity)

vcbMounter -a name:YOUR_VM_NAME -r scp://root@backupserver.yourcompany.com:/home/BACKUP-AREA/
(this command will first snapshot YOUR_VM_NAME, split vmdk file into 2gbsparse format into ESX servers backup temp area then sends these files to your backup server's /home/BACKUP-AREA directory via SCP)
when transfer completes, vcbMounter automatically removes snapshots. This method every time works perfectly for me.

WAY 2) If your backup server is running on Windows, first create a regular windows network share (or create a windows NFS share) on your backup server and try this one:

On your ESX host
esxcfg-firewall -e nfsClient
Mount your backup server's windows or NFS share under any available directory (for example /esxtrans )
vcbMounter -a name:YOUR_VM_NAME -r /esxtrans
(this command will first snapshot YOUR_VM_NAME, split vmdk file into 2gbsparse format into ESX servers backup temp area then sends these files to your backup server's share /esxtrans directory via regular copy)
Unmount /esxtrans when your backup task completes. Snapshots always removed automatically by vcbMounter.

Then you can specify a new backup job with your backup software and take backup of your /home/BACKUP-AREA or Windows share folder.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
rarrar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my question!

Celak, your description is far better than the backup documentation!!! And I'm definately intrigued with the idea of using esxpress as a DR solution across a WAN. Something for the future once I'm up and running.

Hopefully I should have a reliable backup with your input on this.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos