VMware Cloud Community
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Automation of p2v process -- scripting ??

Hi all,

do anybody have success in automating p2v process ?

Normally as part of my job i have to do 20 to 30 p2v's in a month, the GUI is good but i would like some scripting aproach.

i had tried with p2vtools.exe but i didn't find enough option in xml file for selecting datastore, cluster, host and even how to choose proper virtual network???

let me know your experiance in this ???

Thanks to all in advance ..

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can try this script from Mike Laverick's website will probably help. He has scripted before but don't know what's the update is read for details.

The image has script file in there as well.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply .

i am already using that scripts for post p2v process but still these are some scripts for post p2v process, What am i looking for is to automate the p2v process, might be using p2vtools.exe or anyother way, so that i don't have to keep clicking next on converter gui..

Thanks again, Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

You can script Vizioncore's vConverter...it's not a free product, but you can probably accomplish what you are looking for by using it.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert

If you can sell it to mgmt. Platespin's product has a built in scheduler that works well. I used this for our 2.5 > 3.0 migrations and it worked very well. For P2V's you may still need to do some agent removal, etc but the scheduler works well. I hope that VMware builds in a scheduler to their next version of VMConverter.

dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is already a scheduler in VMware Converter. Using the "Scheduled Tasks" create a new task to import a machine. It doesn't complete the process soup to nuts like platespin/vconverter, but it's free and may get you as far as you need to go.

0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks ken & rob

i might have to try Vizioncore's vConverter and platspins p2v product,

And yes rob the main point is if i can sell platspins to mgmt ..:-( ... i am too bad at selling......

i will let you guys know if i found it useful ...

0 Kudos