VMware Cloud Community
MattCo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Auditing of Virtual Machine NIC configuration

Hello Folks -

I am implementing a virtual infrastructure that segregates discrete security zones (DMZ/Intranet/Extranet/etc...) using port groups. My main concern is ensuring that VM's are not accidentally bridged to port groups on two separate security zones. Is anyone aware of a third-party or integrated tools that will allow that me to list and audit the virtual NIC configuration of all the VM's in my datacenter? We are using ESX 3.5 and Virtual Center 2.5.

Thanks...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you look at NetWrix VMware Reporter? It will monitor and audit your VMware changes and much more. Have you thought of streamline your permission in VC center so that no one else allow to touch your VM settings besides specified admin groups. You can then use tasks & events to see what activities have been done by specific users/actions. We implemented strict access to our VC systems and strip unnecessary permissions for this purpose.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you look at NetWrix VMware Reporter? It will monitor and audit your VMware changes and much more. Have you thought of streamline your permission in VC center so that no one else allow to touch your VM settings besides specified admin groups. You can then use tasks & events to see what activities have been done by specific users/actions. We implemented strict access to our VC systems and strip unnecessary permissions for this purpose.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
danpalacios
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You may also want to check out Tripwire or CatBird. Both of those companies have products designed to audit and test security on VMWare.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Also a great new product in the virtualization security market is Hytrust and they can provide same audit logging and seems to be pretty good. Check them out for details www.hytrust.com

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

MattCo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info... I will definitely look into these tools.

0 Kudos
echiu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fixing HyTrust search in VMware communities.

0 Kudos