VMware Cloud Community
pinkerton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are upgrades to new major versions covered by support contracts?

Hi,

since November 2009 we are working with vSphere and have purchased Basic Support back then. The document http://www.vmware.com/support/services/basic.html states that Basic Support contains both Product updates and upgrades.

Regarding to the upgrades: Does that mean that we are eligible to upgrade to new major versions like vSphere 5 as well as long as we are covered by the support contract? Or do new major versions need to be purchased seperately?

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As of now it covers even major release when you valid SnS. It was the case for VI2 to VI3 to vSphere4. Now sure how it would be in future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As of now it covers even major release when you valid SnS. It was the case for VI2 to VI3 to vSphere4. Now sure how it would be in future.

0 Kudos
pinkerton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks! Maybe you can help me with one more question: Back in 2009 we purchased the VMware vSphere Advances Acceleration Kit and are thinking of extending our environment from three to five ESXi hosts this year.

Am I right in assuming that in this case we just need to purchase the Upgrade from vCenter Foundation to Standard plus the necessary CPU licenses for the new ESXi hosts?

BTW: Some months ago I have read about rumors saying that VMware might change its licensing to a per VM based scheme. Do you know if those rumors are still vibrant?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes as simple as that. just buy the additional CPU sockets and vcenter upgrade will do.

the per VM only affects certain product. vSphere is still the same. For more info have a look at: http://www.vmware.com/support/licensing/per-vm/

pinkerton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great, thanks for helping me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem. if you're upgrading vcenter to 4.1 the OS needs to be 64 bit. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
pinkerton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I already upgraded to 4.1 back in July but didn't consider this to be a major upgrade like vSphere 5.0 so I was still wondering whether upgrading to 5.0 will be possible without additional charge as well!

0 Kudos