VMware Cloud Community
belanger74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Archetecture ESXi4 server

Hello

I need advice to implement VMware ESXi4 in my small business.

I have two HP server for my server ESXi4. I want to put the vm locally, not on a SAN. I do not need much disk space and I can not justify the price.

ESXi Server 1 hosts three virtual servers: DC, File, TS

ESXi Server 2: Is the baqckup on the first in another room

My Lan is 1Gbits

What do you recommend to replicate vm and a data server to server 2 and for backup.

Thanks!

Yan Belanger, VCP
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks Ed for mentioning the Virtual SAN from PHD. One note we are currently working on enhancing the Virtual SAN product and should be releasing an updated release later this year.

Pete@phdvirtual

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backups for Vmware and Xen Server, formally esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

something like the below document may come in handy

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For the DC you could add a 2nd DC, for MS based File servers, you could use the built in DFS replication.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

If you want VM level replication, it would not be as real time as the other options, you may wish to look at Veeam , PhD Virtual, and Vizioncore products.

You could also use a VSA (Virtual Storage Appliance) to replicate disk blocks between 1 LUN and another across the hosts which would also provide some form of real-time style replication at the storage level. Check out PhD Virtual XVS, EMC Celerra VSA, and some of the other storage vendors for this possibility. The first two are free for some uses.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks Ed for mentioning the Virtual SAN from PHD. One note we are currently working on enhancing the Virtual SAN product and should be releasing an updated release later this year.

Pete@phdvirtual

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backups for Vmware and Xen Server, formally esXpress

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the Correct. If you are looking for any additional information on the Virtual SAN product you always email or private message me.

Pete@phdvirtual

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backup for Vmware and Xen Server, formally esXpress

0 Kudos