VMware Cloud Community
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone running Progress on VMware?

Unfortunately I'm not "the Progress guy" so I don't know much in the way of specifics but can obviously ask.

One way of getting a buy-in from management on a "proper" SAN/ESX solution would be if we could move some of our MIS systems onto it to increase redundancy and make it easier to get up and running in the event of "something bad" happening.

I'm interested to know if anyone is running Progress on ESX and if so how you've found it and what sort of hardware/usage levels you're running at.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dopehead
Contributor
Contributor

We are running Progress version 10 database servers on ESX.

1 is a production machine with 16 databases, the other is a development server.

Running on SuSE Enterprise 9.0, the host machines are HP Proliant DL380's.

We also have a Windows box with Progress on ESX, but that one is about to be terminated in favour of the Linux boxes.

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

I've got some rough info from our Progress chap, obviously I can tell you the specs of the current physical server, it's a dual core DL360 with 4gb of RAM and a 4 drive RAID10 for the databases and more than copes.

Apparently we are:

Running 10.1a Enterprise.

Have approximately 20gb of DB's

Are also running "Appserver"

Have 9 dataabases of which 4 are "heavier use".

Have a maximum load of around 80 users with an average upper limit being 40 users (15 or so of which tend to be our accounts dept).

I'm looking at putting in ESX next year and if we could virtualize Progress and have HA etc. that would go a long way to selling it to management.

I'm currently logging Windows Performance Monitor counters on things like disk transfers/CPU etc. but it's always nice to know if other people have done it.

0 Kudos