VMware Cloud Community
MikeCampabello
Contributor
Contributor

Another Dell attached storage question

I'm new to VMware and we're doing a install. I searched around but nothing quite fits my questions. Maybe this isn't possible but I figured I'd ask. I read that the MD1000 only supports "basic connectivity" (not supporting VMotion features) not 100% knowing what that means combined with not knowing enough about how VMotion works. I have a question that may have a simple answer.

We are going to be installing VMware ESX 3.5 onto two Dell 2950s with MD1000s at two seperate locations. Both sites currently connect via a Cisco VPN (pix 506e).

My question is will VMotion work accross a VPN as a fault tolerance since they are two seperate md1000s on two seperate networks? We were recommended to purchase double take for virtual systems, and did buy it, but I'm just curious on how the two can or if they will even work together.

Any help getting me to understand this is very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

VMotion requires shared storage, which you've already stated it is not. For two separate locations with two separate storage, there has to be some sort of replication between the two, but you're still not using live move. This would be a DR/COOP type of scenario.

The MD1000 is direct attached storage, and not a SAN, so it is not storage that can be shared by multiple hosts, which is the main requirement for VMotion.

So, for a DR scenario, you can replicate one storage device to another, and bring up ESX at your 2nd site with vm data that was replicated from the one site, but they won't both be active at the same time and be able to fail to each other, as I believe you are trying to accomplish.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Mike welcome to the forums

without shared storage you can not utilise VMotion, you could investigate LHN Virtual Storage Applicance. this allows the creation of shared storage form Local Storage. couple this with SRM and you may have a solution.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos