VMware Cloud Community
VUser910
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Alternative Method for VMware convertor

I have to migrate physical machines to ESX server Host . I was wondering is there any alternative way available to do that without buying VMware Convertor Enterprise edition.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for your useful answer , but i am still have doubt does Vmware Converter Starter version ( free one ) can do the P2V for destination server ESX .

Yes, Converter3 Starter can send to a ESX destination. I do this all the time. :smileyblush:

As on this link you can find in the bottom of comparison of products that it is mentioned .|Remote conversion Vmware starter ( Free product )|For destinations under VMware Workstation, VMware Server, VMware Player and VMware GSX Server. If VMware ESX is the destination, VMware Converter Enterprise is required.|

You'll note that the warning is for remote conversions only. If not a remote conversion, then you can have ESX as a destination with Converter3 Starter. (IOW, a local conversion, which has a checkmark on the line just above.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There are several free solutions you can use and Ultimate P2V is one of them and you have to tweak it to work.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
VUser910
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply but the ultimate P2V is not that powerful , or i am wrong . what you say ?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well, you get what you paying for since this is free it should work on P2V procedures but will not have the flexibility to choose source/destination types and shrink/expand drives selections like Converter does. It might be doable but you have to check them out takes time to implement and if you have VMware Enterprise license it should be free with VCB as well.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
VUser910
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tell me one thing , does P2V convertor ( free Virtual Converter) can convert physical machines to Virtual machines for ESX ?

Is that compatiable one .

Regards

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

P2V Assistant is the predecessor to VMware Converter. The "non-enterprise" version of VMware Converter is available for free and typically works better than P2V Assistant did.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
VUser910
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But my question is does Vmware Converter starter can convert the physical machine to virtual one on ESX host.

Thanks

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

yes, that's what VMware Converter does it P2V, if you want P2V, V2V, V2P than use Platespin solution.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
VUser910
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your useful answer , but i am still have doubt does Vmware Converter Starter version ( free one ) can do the P2V for destination server ESX .

As on this link you can find in the bottom of comparison of products that it is mentioned .|Remote conversion Vmware starter ( Free product )|For destinations under VMware Workstation, VMware Server, VMware Player and VMware GSX Server. If VMware ESX is the destination, VMware Converter Enterprise is required.|

Regards

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, Converter3 Starter can send to a ESX destination. I do this all the time. :smileyblush:

You'll note that the warning is for remote conversions only. If not a remote conversion, then you can have ESX as a destination with Converter3 Starter. (IOW, a local conversion, which has a checkmark on the line just above.)

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Go to this site and download the latest

VMware Converter 3.0.2 (Standalone Enterprise Edition)

Version: 3.0.2 | 10/18/2007 | Build: 59994

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, it should work and work all the time and great tools please test it out and let me know your result. If not work, come back we can help you support it anytime. I'm sure other products I've mentioned works fine too.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

vuser123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos