VMware Cloud Community
Kerfuffle24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Add another VM? Analysis tool?

Is there a tool available that I can run to tell me if I have the capacity to add another virtual machine to my cluster? Ideally it would be something that would look at my current utilization (maybe even trends) and, based on the requirements for the new vm, tell me if I have the capacity to add the new one.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

there are quite a bit of tools that can do this. An example of two are CapacityIQ and VKernel CMS

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

CapacityIQ will provide you with information detailing how many more VM's you can add to the infrastructure and other useful data such as over or under resourced VM's.

0 Kudos
Kerfuffle24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems like the VKernel Modeler does the same thing. Is there something in CapacityIQ that justifies the cost?

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

CapacityIQ has a lot of other features such as the ability to do scenario modelling -either adding or taking away hosts to understand the impact.

If you don't need the additional functionality then it is probably not going to be cost effective.

0 Kudos
Kerfuffle24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's what I want. I thought VKernel modeler did that.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Since VKernel Modeler is free, there are probably some restrictions on what it can do... But, like I said there are a bunch of tools out there that do what you are looking to do. Download a trial and find out what works for you.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have vCenter in place? if so the quick and dirty way would be looking at the average usage of the host for a week CPU/Memory/HDD and then do an assumption of new host say 60% (most of the time VM will run 30% and below) and see if it can fit in or not. Of course the better way would be all the tools mentioned above.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

0 Kudos