VMware Cloud Community
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AMD Bios settings HP 385 / Dells ?

Hello, are there any Bios settings i should enable or disable or to try out. For example in the HP 385 bios there is a setting for AMD virtulization. It is off for default, should that be on?

Are there any others to look out for?

thanks

If you find this or any post helpful please award points

0 Kudos
10 Replies
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello stormlight,

You can enable for AMD or Intel the VT technology, also called Vanderpool Technology. Until now this technologie only benefits for linux virtual machines, because modification of the operating system will occcur.

This is not possible for Windows operating system. Can be that windows server 2008 will be the first wintel os wich realy benefits this technologie.

But for now enabling Virtualization Technologie can result in less performance than when you disable it, for Wintel os. But this will be changed in the future..

maybe enable hyperthreading could be usefull also..

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

I was under the impression that this option will allow you to have 64bit guest OSs. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I dont have hyperthread belive it or not. AMD 2.1's

All i see is

Enable Node Interleaving

No Execute Page Protecting

Expanssion Card Caching Optimization

AMD Virtialization

Memory Channel Mode

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

AMD Virtualization will not enable 64bit support for guest oses.

It will enable hardware virtualization technology wich until now linux virtual machines can benefit from.

most windows oses can't handle hardware virtualization because a modification of the os is required.

so i am afraid this is all you can get out of it..

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

AMD Virtualization will not enable 64bit support for guest oses.

It will enable hardware virtualization technology wich until now linux virtual machines can benefit from.

most windows oses can't handle hardware virtualization because a modification of the os is required.

so i am afraid this is all you can get out of it..

I disagree... Without enabling the VT Technology within the BIOS, you will not be able to run 64bit guests on your ESX Hosts.

0 Kudos
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does that include the AMD-V as well Troy

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

hmmm.. in my opinion you need to enable for example EMT64 in the bios for a feature like supporting 64-bit guest oses.

will do some extra research on that.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If the feature is disabled, which it is by default with the Intel chip, you will not be able to run 64bit guests. I haven't used AMD for awhile, but I think I remember it being enabled by default. Either way, it has to be enabled for you to run 64bit guests.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

hmmm.. in my opinion you need to enable for example EMT64 in the bios for a feature like supporting 64-bit guest oses.

maybe I read your initial response wrong, but I agree with you on this.

0 Kudos
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys but where slightly off topic. EMT64 is for Intel chips. Im asking about AMD chips only in this thread.

So to clear it up. Two Questions

1. Can anyone comment on these BIOS setting in a AMD bios

Enable Node Interleaving

No Execute Page Protecting

Expanssion Card Caching Optimization

AMD Virtialization

Memory Channel Mode

2. As well as can anyone clariify if AMD V or also known as AMD virtualiztion in the Bios is required for 64 Bit guest.

0 Kudos