VMware Cloud Community
softpointmedia
Contributor
Contributor

8-Way Opteron Server Support, HELP PLEASE!

Okay, so here is my overly complicated scenario, and BTW, I am a VMWare n00b, so bare with me:

Right now I have an 8-way Opteron server with 8x Opteron 850 (2.4GHz single core) CPUs and 32GB of memory running Windows Server 2008 x64 and our Exchange 2007 server. The server is an I-WILL H8501 for those interested () that I got over a year ago at an auction (it was a lot auction and I had no clue what I had gotten until we got it all back to the shop). What I want to do is convert the current server install to a VM and install ESX or ESXi 4.0 onto the box and virtualize all of our other various servers as well since as you can tell, this box is WAY overkill for what it is currently doing. To be honest, originally I was going to go Hyper-V, however since this is an older server and Hyper-V in all its glory only works with the newest latest and greatest hardware, it was a no-go. So I turned to VMWare which I have actually found I like better anyways since the hypervisor is so much lighter then Hyper-V anyways and the client is awesome.

So I had the great idea of pulling our dual processor Xeon workstation from the lab, and installed ESX 3.5 on there in eval (since 4.0 was giving me the CPUID error). The next step was to convert the physical server I want ESX on finally to a VM on the temp host server, then load ESX onto the final server and move the VM over to the new host server as a guest. Sounded awesome in theory.

The problem I am having is when I try and run the converter it tells me the temporary host does not support 64-bit guests and will not let me convert it. I tried a 32-bit server for fun and that worked perfectly. So I know the temp host is x64 compatible as we have had various x64 OS's on there when running different lab scenarios previously, and if I setup a new VM on there, it lets me install Server 2008 x64 no problem at all.

So then I converted another server over to the temp host, and tried the same thing on that server, which again I know is a fully x64 compatible server, even though it isn't Intel VT. Same problem.

I am totally stumped and could really use some guidance here as to what to do. We don't have the budget for any new servers right now, so I have to make due with that I have. I know I can setup a new Server 2008 x64 VM on the temp host, load Exchange 2007 and move the mailboxes over, and then uninstall it from the 8-way server and demote it out, but that is a ton of work that i would rather avoid if possible. And then I still don't know if after all that I will be able to move the guest over to the final server or if I will get stuck with the same error.

PLEASE HELP!

-Brian

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

AMD Rev E and above do work.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
dewbieZ
Contributor
Contributor

Please be sure to post back on Windows 64 bit Guest install when you do it this weekend. If this is the case, I probably will upgrade. I know for a fact that you NEED HVM/HVA (AMD-V) on Xen for Windows anything.

0 Kudos
softpointmedia
Contributor
Contributor

Same with Hyper-V, which is why I went with VMWare instead since they support a much larger array of hardware platforms. Hyper-V is great if you have a brand spankin new server. But for those of us trying to update a slightly aging platform, it just isn't feasible. We can't afford all new servers right now or we would.

0 Kudos
softpointmedia
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Tom. I assume you have experience with this. Is it just for ESX/i 3.5 like the article I found states, or ESX 4.0 too?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

it is the same for ESX4 but with the new AMD Chips you get more features

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
dewbieZ
Contributor
Contributor

Just ordered those procs, if they don't work I'll just sell them Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dewbieZ
Contributor
Contributor

OSA850CEP5AV (CG)

Just tried to replace the above 800MHZ(HT) Opteron 850 2.4 GHZ Single Core to A

OSA852FAA5BM (1000MHZ(HT) Opteron 852 2.6 GHZ Single Core

With No Success in a DL585 G1 with BIOS Revision 2007.02.14 (B) 1 May 2008

Error Message Return "Unsupported CPU etc etc"

Looks like this box will NOT be able to do 64 bit Guests on ESXi. Unless someone has a magic trick they want to show me.

0 Kudos