VMware Cloud Community
jasongegere
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

64bit Host and Guest Conversion (Migrate) and Build

First I will start out with some overview information.

I started using VMware Server v1 several years ago, running on both Windows and Linux Hosts. Some systems started at this level and have moved up through the new versions that have come out over the years. I am now using VMware ESXi 4, ESXi v3.5, and VM Server 2. I am trying to move all systems from VMware Server 2 to the ESXi software line.

I recently bought a Dell Server 2850 I thought was capable of hosting 64bit systems in a hosted environment. The processor model number is a SL8MA. It is not capable a of hosting 64bit virtualization. From what I read the Dell 2950 is fully capable of hosting a 64bit Virtualized VM. VMware ESXi v4 does install perfect on the 2850.

When I talked with a sales representative from the company I bought the server from, he stated the main chip used in Dell 2850 Server was a SL8MA.

Here is some information from Intel on the details of the cpu.

Notice the EM64T highlighted? Here is some additional information about the EM64T.

6255_6255.png

There are a few issues that I have with using VMware Converter v4. When trying to move a 64bit VM guest(s) from an existing VMware Server 2 running on Fedora Core 6 (noted but really doesnt matter) I get a message stating that the HOST server does not support 64bit virtualization. Why can't I move the system if it is running a similar system using a processor that only supports EM64T?

Can I just move the .vmdk files that were created using VMware Server 2?

What VM version are VMware Server 2 set to?

Can I convert the .vmdk files for a ESXi VMware Version 6 or 7 format?

6257_6257.png

What I do not understand is how the VMware Server hosting a 64bit operating system is running on a 64bit EM64T processor but I can not transfer the VM over to a similiar box using a compatible VMware Server that works with VMware converter. ie: Transfer from VMware Server 2 to VMware ESXi 3.5 or ESXi 4.

The system details are listed below for the system already running a 64bit guest.

6256_6256.png

Can I install a 64bit operating system on a VMware ESX v4?

Can I install a 64bit operating system on a VMware Server 2? Yes, it would seem so since I have one running, I just can move it to another EM64T server.

To transfer a 64bit system the HOST system must run 64bit VT Support.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why can I run a 64bit system on another EM64T processor?...

You need both EM64T and VT in order to run 64bit guests. See KB article 1901.

Hardware and Firmware Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems (1901)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The 2850 does not support VT at the hardware level. It is a requirement for 64bit in ESXi 4.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
jasongegere
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is a requirement for 64bit in ESXi 4 for conversion transfer of system using VMware Convertor 4? I have ESXi 4 installed on this 2850 and it is running perfect.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VT is required for 64bit VMs. ESX4 does not appear to specifically require VT to install, but would still require VT to run a 64bit VM. So you could run 32bit VMs on the PE2850., just not 64bit VMs.

jasongegere
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But that is what I do not understand.

Why can I run a 64bit system on another EM64T processor? (That is the other CPUID listed in this post) On this system I am running VMware Server 2 on top of Ubuntu 64bit and the Virtual 64bit system runs prefect has been for over a year.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why can I run a 64bit system on another EM64T processor?...

You need both EM64T and VT in order to run 64bit guests. See KB article 1901.

Hardware and Firmware Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems (1901)

0 Kudos
jasongegere
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Intel EM64T CPUs do not have segmentation support in long mode. If the Intel EM64T CPU is VT-capable, it comes with hardware virtualization support (Intel's Virtualization Technology). This hardware virtualization support allows Workstation and VMware Server to work around the lack of segmentation, making it possible to run 64-bit guest operating systems on Intel EM64T VT-capable CPUs"

Thank you @[~151530] You gave me a kick in the ass to research some more!

I didn't think this processor was 64bit VT. But I guess it has to be; here is the exact model I bought from Newegg.com. The CPUID program I used to get the cpu information can't read if the processor supports 64bit VT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117105

0 Kudos