ocarmona
Contributor
Contributor

1 ESX Server Needs Backup Solutions (Which one should I get first?) (BackupExec/vRangerPro/BESR)

Our 1 VMware ESX 3.x Standard has grown in the amount of VM's inside. We need a backup solution!!! I was looking at vRanger Pro and Backup Exec System Recovery. I have NEVER tested these live with VM before.

My IT director asked me today what solution do we need? Should I just get Backup Exec Agents? - OR - vRanger Pro ?

Anybody has any comments on Backup Exec System Recovery with VM support? These will work with my physical servers too.

please give me your feedback to move forward on this

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you considered VCB and whatever tape solution is to your liking? Need a little more info here: What type's/sizes of systems are you needing to back up, and are you going to need full or file level backups? Any DB's needing to be backed up, or Exchange servers, or Active Directory type machines? Also, what are you going to back up to, SAN, TAPE, etc... All of these will contribute to my recommendation.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I agree, a little more information about your enviroment would be helpful for a good recommendation. But based off of what you said, you should also look at esXpress which is what we run. We kept our old file level backup in place through our conversion (Backup Exec) but added esXpress for our full bulk backups and it seems to be working perfectly. EsXpress does have a file level backup built into it but we haven't had time to try it out yet.

If you're looking for a straight bulk backup of the vmdk files (which it seems like you are hinting to) I would go with either vRanger or esXpress. They seem like the two heavy hitters in that catagory. Also remember, even though its a little more work, you can do file level restores from bulk backups by restoring the VM from the backup the night before, mount the hdd as a slave and pull the file you needed off.

But with a little more information everyone can fine tune their recommendation for you to look into.

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
ocarmona
Contributor
Contributor

Well in the 1 VM that we have we just put finish putting this:

Domain Controller #2

RMS (Accounting Server) (Critical)

SQL Server (Critical)

Web Server 1

Web Server 2

Citrix Server #2

File Server 1 (uses RDM and data is on san - currently using regular backup exec windows agent)

They have about 20 Gigs each

0 Kudos
Neth66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What you are asking here is really almost like asking what religion is best. Everyone's got their own opinons.

In any case, since you've asked for opinions, I'd go with Vizioncore. I used it at a previous site, and it worked great. At my current site, I did a comparison of the cost of vRangerPro, to backup agents on the VMs, and vRanger came out much cheaper. Additionally, with vRanger, you get the equivalent of "bare-metal" backups with the ability to pull single files out of the backup. You won't get that capability from just using your regular backup software and VCB.

That's my 2 cents, but like I said, it's almost a religion question. Good Luck.

ocarmona
Contributor
Contributor

Well what other information is useful?

VM ESX Server is hooked up to a SAN AX150 through fiber switch. - I have the Tape Backup Library Which Backup EXEC is using.

The main focus with the RMS server which uses the SQL server is RAPID Disaster Recover. I guess I would put these backups on the SAN or I could use Tape backup if supported.

0 Kudos