VMware Edu & Cert Community
rajesharihant
Contributor
Contributor

VCP Exam without training.

Hi all, 

I know I need to attend the training to attain VCP 'Certificate'. 

However, due to my current situation, I am unable to do that. 

so, I have 2 questions.

1.   Is it possible to book and appear for the VCP exam - prior to taking the training classes? 

2.  and if I appear and pass the exam - would I get a results score indicating I passed the exam?

thanks for any and all insights on this peculiar question. 

Raj

37 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. You can complete the training requirement and the exam requirement in any order, so yes anyone can attempt/pass the exam.

2. Yes, in the Certification Manager: https://www.certmetrics.com/vmware/

You cannot claim to be a VCP though, you won't have achieved the certification until you have met all the requirements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
DurhamNeil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the mandatory training course attendance protects the validity/reputation of the certifications. I wish more vendors followed VMWare’s lead on that requirement. 🙂 

VCP-DVC 2022 & CCNA
stitch_626
Contributor
Contributor

There was a time when you were able to do that, I did it, but not anymore, you need to comply with all requirements to be reconignized with the VCP.

mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To get the certification you will have to take the VMware course online or in person from an approved education vendor before or after the exam.

anilspp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for info.

0 Kudos
whentimeslows
Contributor
Contributor

If you would like to get your VCP without taking the training course and have some interest in networking, you could also:

1. Get your CCNA (works in lieu of training for VCP-NV cert)

2. Get your VCP-NV

3. Get your VCP-DCV

Still cheaper than purchasing the training and you end up with three certs.

alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CBT Nuggets has a really good VMWare training course. You might be able to sign up for a 30 day free trial. It won't count toward the certification, but if you need technical info its a good place to go.

--Alan--

JaSo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tips for the training:

• The cheapest variant is still to book a training through an official VMware IT Academy (eg. www.stanly.edu) that offers the class in Continuing Education manner... It won't be the fastest as it usually takes 12 weeks to complete but you can get it for much lower price.
  • Also mind the fact that On-demand version of the classes (and both classes counting towards the VCP DCV have on-demand version) is cheaper than the on-site class / online version and also comes with a voucher for the actual exam..

J.

Lloyd-B
Contributor
Contributor

I gave up after going through the training requirements. Instead, I set up a small lab with 2 hosts and followed CBT nuggets, 

0 Kudos
shellOS
Contributor
Contributor

I think not anymore, as of may 2023, I only see vSpere courses as accepted 😞

But at least my CCNA will be accepted for NSX-T cert. Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos
shellOS
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is that req courses are too expensive. 😞

MMartin-Adm
Contributor
Contributor

I think "Shakedown" is an appropriate term. I have passed the 5, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 and 7.x exam WITHOUT the stupid, pointless class. No, I =do not= have a VCP certification. My employers have been fine to accept the exam results without spending the stupidly, ridiculous "money grab shakedown" courses. I am scheduled to sit for the VCP "8" level exam soon, and will pass it no problem. Oh well. 

Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Please is possible to tell me where you have done exam without need to to go to the class?

Thanks.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Anyone can take the exam, but you don't get any certification unless you've also completed authorised training, so can't call yourself a VCP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
jicooper
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've tried really hard to stay out of this discussion, but at this point I feel like there's a need to reply.

As an instructor for VMware, I can tell you of countless times when I've had students in my class who are certified on previous versions of our products who come to me after a particular lecture who say, "I never knew that, I've been doing it wrong for years. Thank you!".

I can assure you that this is not a "money grab" or "shakedown", and nobody at VMware attempts to require those that purchase our products to have certified engineers on staff. VMware's education business is extremely small relative to the entire company. Our mission simply is to advocate best practices and knowledge of our products to ease adoption, and to help our customers be successful.  Certification systems work for us (all of us) because it pre-qualifies IT engineers and says to employers, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

While passing an exam says that you know how to answer a particular question, it doesn't speak to a wholistic knowledge of a product or system in the same way that sitting in a class with an expert instructor and other students for a week and having in-depth discussions on the technology and the environments in which it's deployed.

We all know of the stories of Microsoft's certifications in the early 2000's.  You could read a book, pass an exam, and call yourself a MCP.  That doesn't mean you know anything about how to manage a Windows server or AD at scale.  It doesn't mean that you have any experience. I remember going to a job fair in 2002 after the first dot com crash where there were lines out the door of people waiting to get in.  There was a sign outside the door that said, "No MCP's needed." The value of that certification dropped to zero.

VMware's certifications are valuable and highly respected precisely because they require strong knowledge and experience to obtain. They tell an employer that you've invested in your education and that you truly have expertise that can't be gained simply by reading a manual.

Through VMware's IT Academy program, VMware has created a system that lowers the cost to entry for young IT professionals looking to gain knowledge and get a start in the industry. Links to that program and institutions that offer that program have been repeatedly linked in this thread.  This is the exact same course that is offered through VMware Learning's direct instruction, and it qualifies in the same way for the education component of the certification process.

I feel sorry for those that don't have an employer that's willing to invest in their employee's education enough to give you a week to get smarter, but I understand that in some small organizations that a $3-4k investment is heavy.  In that case, the IT Academy might be just the right fit.

Finally, for those of you that haven't had the opportunity to keep their certification current I recommend some of our more advanced classes. Don't take our Install, Configure, and Manage classes again.  On the vSphere side we have vSphere Design, Operate, Scale and Secure, and Troubleshooting to name a few.  We also have What's New classes for those that are certified who want to make sure they keep their certification current. In that case you only have to take the class. No new exam needed.

I am very proud of the certification program at VMware. We work hard to make sure it is a reasonable and fair process, and that your investment in time and money earns a significant return in your career.

Thanks for reading.  Sincerely,

Joe Cooper
VCP, VCAP, VCIX, etc., etc.

Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi All,

I'have a small organisation and it's not about $3k - $4k it's much more, while we try to get also be certified for Clouds and there is it more than 3times higher ( now need about $15k for the needed exams 😞), while its needed to have more people certified and there is also much more exams needed. By the way this new system and not the new one discriminates small companies as my.

I understand that all something costs, but I thing that the exams can be something cheaper while its also in the interest of VMware that we have it and can sell more their products while all is related to the certificates and levels that come with it.

The now needed and many times nothing or not so much bringing courses are free and also needed. There I can tell you that I thing that VMware can give also more - much more courses or webinars with more useful - technical informations like installations, optimisation or and so one which can more help people and lower the cost for their exams.

Hope this will read also people from VMware and will it takes as a feature request to improve they learning system and I'm happy to have this community that here can we find more help as sometimes by support.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
hadjer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

You can :

1- Attend the course Designing, Configuring, and Managing the VMware Cloud (Free for a limited time),check on this page the course link : https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-vmc.html

2- Pass the VCP-VMC int costs 250$

3- if you successfully pass, you will hold the VCP-VMC certificate and then you can pass the VCP-DCV exam for 250$ and obtain the certificate.

I think that's the best available option for now.

Kodus if you find my answer useful.

Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

thanks I co over it.

I would like to know if are there also free VSP-NS/SV and VTSP-SV/NS courses?

Thanks.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For partners, yes, since VSP and VTSP are partner certifications.

0 Kudos