VMware Edu & Cert Community
Mhillman317
Contributor
Contributor

Beginner

I was hoping to get some help from someone. I’m trying to make a career change and would love to learn vmware to make it into a career. Can anyone recommend where to start? Which certification or a course to get my foot in the door? Thank you

11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A certification proves a certain level of product knowledge, not necessarily that you can do a particular role - so have a think first about what job it is you would like to do and be capable of doing.

The first-level of VMware certification is the VMware Certified Technical Associate (VCTA) which aligns to an "operator" role, the next level up is VMware Certified Professional (VCP) which is more for an "administrator" who will also deploy the technologies.

VMware offer VCTA and VCP certifications in a number of areas of technology.

Learn more about the certifications, the technology areas, and the requirements of each here: https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Mhillman317
Contributor
Contributor

I’m hoping to become a vmware administrator. Do you have any advice or what steps to take to start off?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware have many different technologies and products, so you need to be more specific.

The starting point for many will be vSphere and the most common certification is VCP-DCV 2020 - if you download the exam guide from this page it will give you an understanding of the sorts of things you will need to know how to do.

I would say that a certification on it's own is unlikely to get you an administrator level job if you have no experience, so perhaps start with a more junior role and work towards that as a goal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Mhillman317
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way I can private chat with you to ask a few more questions?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry but I cannot offer my time in that way, I’m happy to answer more questions in this thread or via the private message function.

0 Kudos
vmguru_de
Contributor
Contributor

hi guys, why is the old community read only ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Because the back-end platform has switched from Jive to Khoros. Did you have a specific issue you need help with?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine:

If you would start into virtualization the beginners way is vSphere Install Configure and Manage (current version is v7) https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=93058

That course enables you to go with VMware Certified Professional (VCP) and The required Foundations Exam.
https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification.html

That provides a base of datacenter virtualization.

There you can dig deeper intro datacenter virtualization, go for cloud management, desktop virtualization, network virtualization, or application modernization.

If I were to start my career again I would focus more on Kubernetes.
Fortunately, VMware has kube.academy which is a free Kubernetes academy with more than 20 free courses and labs.

also, VMware has VMWare hands-on labs hol.vmware.com 
which provides free access to labs to test drive VMware products

Other than that, I would focus on learning linux and networking in addition to VMware products (since VMware relies on both and will give you a useful insight)

Please let me know if you need further assistance or advice and I will gladly assist you. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is no Foundations exam for VCP-DCV 2020 if taking the Professional exam on vSphere 7.

huotsamath
Contributor
Contributor

I am hold in 2V0-01.19 & 2V0-21.19D. if I take exam VCP-DCV 2020, it is require to attend vmware official course or not. please advise 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"I am hold in 2V0-01.19 & 2V0-21.19D. if I take exam VCP-DCV 2020, it is require to attend vmware official course or not. please advise "

So that's the vSphere 6.7 Foundations exam and the Professional vSphere 6.7 Delta exam - that's an odd combination unless you have also been a VCP in an older version or have taken authorised training before?

You can review the various paths/options for VCP-DCV 2020 here: https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification/vcp-dcv.html

If you have literally only passed those 2 exams then looking at the "no VCP certifications (and want to test on vSphere 6.7)" path you are missing:

2. Attend one of the required training courses

4. Pass one of the Professional Data Center Virtualization Exams

0 Kudos