VMware Cloud Community
sercomosa
Contributor
Contributor

windows 2000 poor performance after upgrade to esxi 4.1

I've two vm (from MS virtual server 2005) based on windows 2000 server on a esxi 4.0 host. I've recently updated this host to esxi 4.1 and I noticied that performance on this guest vmachines is poor, very poor, even after updating vmware tools.

I've to move to another esxi 4.0u2 host. Then performance back to normal.

Any idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
PaulusG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Sercomosa,

Can you describe performance in terms of CPU, Memory, disk or network performance?

There is little information about the hardware, storage, the configuration of the VM and the kind of performance troubles in your situation.

Paul Grevink

Twitter: @PaulGrevink

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Paul Grevink Twitter: @PaulGrevink http://twitter.com/PaulGrevink If you find this information useful, please consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
sercomosa
Contributor
Contributor

Of course!

Memory and Disk seem normal

CPU 100% on every action like open explorer, mmc, notepad etc.

Screen refresh & mouse accurate is less than normal, but usable. It's like if I disable advanced graphics options on screen properties.

Boot and shutdown seem normal too.

It seems that only affect to cpu processing, so every action is done slowly, with CPU at 100%. When I do nothing, CPU is normal.

VM has 1 vCPU. In the same host I have 2 vm more: one Windows server 2008R2 and one Windows Server 2003R2 and works perfectly.

Host is a Dell R710, quad core 2,3 Ghz, 8GB ram, 250GB HDD... Prior update to 4.1 all works ok. Seems that only affect to w2000 guest vm.

Thanks (sorry about my english).

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

check if your resource limits changed.

If the cpu is set to unlimited on 4.u2 and then gets set to a low value, that would explain this issue.

sercomosa
Contributor
Contributor

Ok guys, this is the solution. Resources are all ok, the problem was that converter tool disabled the "acceleration" option. I tell you my full history:

- I had 3 vm on a MS virtual server 2005 sp2: one w2003R2 and two w2000sp4

- I converted them and moved to a host 4.0u2. The converter disabled acceleration and I didn't realize that, but there were no problems.

- When I upgrade host to 4.1, "acceleration" still was disabled and w2003r2 guest had no problems, but on w2000sp4 guests performance dropped significantly.

- I've enabled "acceleration" on w2000sp4 guest and now performance is normal. I don't understan why only affects to w2000 guests ¿?

And that's all folks!

thanks for trying to help me

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Which acceleration option was disabled (please explain where it is controlled)?

Many thanks,

http://blog.peacon.co.uk

Please award points to any useful answer.

Unofficial List of USB Passthrough Working Devices

0 Kudos
sercomosa
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I only know one "acceleration" option.

vm guest settings-> options tab-> Advanced/General->"Disable acceleration"

This option was cheked on all guests that I migrate from MS Virtual Server. I don't know if it was automatically checked on migration or I made a mistake when migrating.

But the essence of the problem is that on 4.0 esxi host I had no performance problems. Only in 4.1 and with w2000 guests.

VMware converter 4.3 (4.x I think) doesn't support windows 2000 sources... I did the migration with a previos version, months ago.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Many thanks for this clarification.

http://blog.peacon.co.uk

Please award points to any useful answer.

Unofficial List of USB Passthrough Working Devices

0 Kudos
Swanito
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly same problem with Esxi 5 and Windows 2000 server (from Esxi 3.5 u4), same solution : acceleration disabled...

Thx a lot for this solution :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos