VMware Cloud Community
hppete
Contributor
Contributor

windows 10 guest will not boot with virtual network adapter connected

I have an ESXi 5.5 host that has always worked fine.  I had several Windows 10 guests on it.

I ran converted on another Windows 10 machine and added it to that host.  The guest works fine except for the fact that it with stay on the windows 10 boot screen (circle moving) if i start it with the network adapter connected.  

Once it is started, I can connect the network adapter and every thing works fine.

Well now the same thing is happening to a Windows 10 machine that has been on that host for a long time and never had the issue. 

Other guests also do not have the issue.

Any suggestions?

THanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DurhamNeil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe a windows 10 update got installed into the VMs that is causing the issue. This article isn't about ESX 5..5 but it gives you a few things to check...

Did your Windows 10 VM running on vSphere 6.5 Freeze after applying Windows Updates? - ADS Consultin...

VCP-DVC 2022 & CCNA
0 Kudos
hppete
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the idea, but that wouldn't explain the issue when it was occurring right away with the machine i ran converter on.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If you attach vmware.logs from the misbehaving VM we can look into it.
What do the windows system logs say ?

Ulli

0 Kudos
hppete
Contributor
Contributor

Attaching the wmare log. I will look at windows log too, but probably not much in there because it really doesn't start. In the vmware log you can see about a 4 minute gap where i just let it sit on the windows boot screen where this is a blue windows logo and small spinning circle at the bottom... Until I disconnect from the console and power it down. Thanks!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You should not run a windows 10 guest as other-64.
Are you sure you want to use a E1000 instead of E1000e or vmxnet3 nic ?

Ulli

0 Kudos