VMware Cloud Community
soopal
Contributor
Contributor

why my vms sometimes loss the Annotations?

hi all:

I'm using vcenter 5.5 build 3721164 (on windows) with vsphere 5.5 build 3568722.

Most of our 70+ vms work fine.

When a new vms is deployed useful data is written on annotations.

But some vms loss the annotations data without any log or warning at all.

I have searching a reason or how to avoid this behaviour; without luck.

Do somebody now why annotation data get lost without any apparente reason or how to make the digging and find the reason ???

By now, I don't have a support contract so I deppend on your knowledge and good will to seek and answer or solution.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vfk
Expert
Expert

I have seen situation where vSphere Client does not always display annotations correctly, connect directly to the host where the VM is running or using the webclient to check annotations are intact.  I don't think they are disappearing but C# vSphere client is not displaying correctly.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
Stanley_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

we are using Annotations very much, but we never lost any annotations.

from my experience:

- annotations are lost when you remove vm from vCenter.

- annotations are not visible in webclient. In webclient are Tags.

- There is a special annotation  "Notes:"  which is visible in WebClient, C# client and is exported to the OVF file.

Stan

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Yes annotations getting lost normally once removing an host from vcenter.

i use annotations since more then 1 year. I export them dayli with powercli.

over webclient sure they accessible. Just they are shown up as Columns. They need to get activated once right click on the column and then clicking "Show/Hide"  to activate the Annotations.

Best regards

max

0 Kudos