VMware Cloud Community
JackyWuzt
Contributor
Contributor

why does the system exist so many VMDK files

Today I browse my virtual machine. There are so many vmdk files inside. Can someone tell me why it generate so many vmdk files? What shall I do to get rid of so many vmdk files?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dhanarajramesh

these all snapshots files. I think you are using VADP level backup tool and your backup tool is not removing snapshots properly. what kind of backup you are using?

0 Kudos
Craps676
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed, they are all snapshots.

Any VMDK file with a "-00001.vmdk or a -00010.vmdk" extension is a delta for a snapshot, and needs to be removed through snapshot manager.

Or if you use ESXi 5.x you can use the consolidate feature if the snaps tried to remove (Like we have seen with Veeam Backup & Replication) but did not succeed, then the snapshots will not display in snapshot manager and you need to consolidate. You can add a column on your "Virtual Machines" tab to display "Needs Consolidation" to see which VMs are affected as it will say yes or no.

If you are using an older version you have to create a new snapshot and in snapshot manager click on "Delete All"

Here is some useful information:

VMware vSphere 5.1

VMware KB: Delete all Snapshots and Consolidate Snapshots feature FAQ

0 Kudos
Craps676
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, and another thing is you need to find out what is causing all the snapshots to be left behind.

In your snapshot manager there will hopefully be information for each snapshot and it will indicate whether it is backup software or if they are manual snapshots.

Hope you come right.

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

more over some time the snapshot lock file will be get locked and in order to release the lock you need to restart vpxa agent on host side.

0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Additionally, I would recommend using some reporting tool in order to be notified about leftover snapshots, etc. We're doing it with Veeam ONE free, but you can stick to whatever free utility you want to.

In our case, all we need to do in order to stay updated about snapshots' presence is to create custom infrastructure report (on demand), selecting VM as an object and snapshot name, size, directory as required columns.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

check your vm how many snapshot you have created....you can remove snapshot and then only then you can remove them..

one more thing if you have more snapshot in your VM means your vm performance goes lit bit down..

note : Always remove snapshot in sequence like ..latest snapshot first  only than file size will decrease..

0 Kudos