VMware Cloud Community
ashrafthabit
Contributor
Contributor

why I can not increase the Data Store size?

After I extended the LUN size by 100 GB. I am trying to increase the datastore size and each time i try, i get the following error

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.ExpandVmfsDatastore" for object "datastoreSystem-1421" on vCenter Server "vCENTER.NET" failed.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you try connecting directly to an ESXi host using vSphere Client and attempt the operation from there?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Also, if the datastore had completely filled up this may be relevant: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1039239

Check the vmkernel log for similar errors.

0 Kudos
Alim786
Expert
Expert

What is the current size of the LUN ?

VCP6-DCV, VCP5, CCNA, MCTS 2008R2, MCSA 2008R2, CCA, ITIL. Please mark answer helpful or correct as appropriate.
0 Kudos
ashrafthabit
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for your response p_hallp_hall

Yes I have tried to connect directly to an ESXi host using vSphere Client and it did not work.

I even restarted the SAN and the host.

0 Kudos
ashrafthabit
Contributor
Contributor

Data_store_info.pngData_store.png

0 Kudos
ashrafthabit
Contributor
Contributor

the current size of the LUN is 465 G

0 Kudos
ashrafthabit
Contributor
Contributor

the article mentioned that i should Manually delete unused files, which of the following files shall i delete?

Data_store_files.png

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would avoid deleting anything unless you're sure that's the reason.

There's a vswap file in there so presumably the VM is powered on - powering it off should get you some additional space, if that is indeed the problem.

What do you see in the vmkernel.log at /var/log after the failed operation? Can you take a copy of that file and attach here?

One other point for now - you mention that you tried the operation directly on a host. It seems from a note here that the host you choose is significant:

Did you attempt the operation from the host where the powered-on VM is registered?

0 Kudos