VMware Cloud Community
auggie321
Contributor
Contributor

what's the meaning of release editions about ESXI P0,EP,U1, U2b, U2C ?

hello,

I knew the os release about GA, Stable, RC, Bete, Update.

and from VMware Knowledge Base ,what's the meaning of P0,EP,U1, U2b, U2C ?

If anybodys knew this, please let me know, thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Your guess is as good as mine.

P - Patch

EP - Express Patch/Emergency Patch

As to why U2C and not U3 instead, it may seem arbitrary. What's stopping to name it all the way to U2Z before going to U3 (although like airplane seats it is best to avoid letters 'I' (eye) and 'L' (elle) to avoid font/uppercase/lower case confusion amongst number 1, uppercase I and lower case L? It is also possible work for a U3 already begun (features/fixes identified) and non-emergency patches/fixes need to be made to U2 and thus the appended letters.

0 Kudos
auggie321
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

Thanks for your quick response. i googe searched some those ESXI P0,EP,U1, U2b, U2C, and got nothing userful info

it got me confusion too.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

This would be a VMware insider information. I doubt the people who know how their naming come about is gonna come forward to answer this. As it could possibly reveal how VMware manage product update releases, project accounting, source code management, etc. If you have ever been involved in a commercial software development project, you would know these are normal matters to handle.

I don't think you have to worry or be concerned about what P0, EP, U2b, etc mean. What you should be more concerned about as ESXi user/administrator is what fixes each of these builds contains and how it may affect your system.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Also not that "U" stands for "Update", this is typically a larger pack of fixes and enhancements to the product. When you see "U1a/b/c" there typically was a bug fix released and it was repackaged in to the Update so that customers have a safe "starting point" as many customers will download the Update and apply that as a starting point.

0 Kudos