VMware Cloud Community
AndersJuulJense
Contributor
Contributor

what do I need for Storage

Hi everyone

another quesiton from a VmWare newbie...

1 Dell PE2950 w/1Xeon 2.3GHz server and 4GB Ram (i'm aware i need more RAM and perhaps a secondary CPU)

1 Dualport network card 1GB

We have 35 users and need of running approx 5 instances.

1 DC (SBS2003) today running with 4GB (dc, dns1, exchange, sql, navision)

1 WTS (S2003Std) Running with 4GB (terminal service for about 10 users, want to expand to all users)

1 TESTserver 2003 Running with 1GB Ram

2 Winxp 512MB Ram

I need some Storage for theese servers. I were thinking of getting a QNAP TS-459U for Datastorage and putting in 4 x 2TB Discs in RAID 5 with a spare... but how should I attach the NAS to the Host? I already have a TS-419 with 4 x 2TB in RAID 5, which should be a mirror of the primary storage...

Any suggestions on how I shoud connect this hardware? which features I should use?

It might be worth mentioning that the enviroments been a running disaster for a long time so nearly any improvements are a LEAP of Faith beyound any imagination Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions / pointers / instructions ...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
adelisa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi AndersJuulJen,

Welcome to the comunity.

your RAID drive should be primary so that server can boot for this.

" Affirmation without discipline is the beginning of delusion."
0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Hello,

If you're choosing the QNAP as storage this document will help you out to get connected: http://files.qnap.com/news/pressresource/product/How_to_set_up_QNAP_NAS_as_a_datastore_via_NFS_for_V...

In your scenario I'm thinking NFS is the best choice, since you only have 1 Dualport NIC I wouldn't go with iSCSI, unless you're very comfortable with VLANS and such.

As for choice of storage, it all depends on budget and expected performance of course, also if possible, make sure you have room for expansion. There's also Synology, they also have some VMware certified storage solutions.

0 Kudos
AndersJuulJense
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thanks for your answers

The host are installed with 2 x 73 GB discs in a Mirror Raid. So all is good there.

About the datastorage and connections ...

Aren't the iSCSI faster than the NFS?  I mean buying a secondary DUAL NIC and settings up a VLAN between the HOST and the NAS shouldn't be a bit issue for me .... (probably abit of reading and testing, trial & error)

At the moment I have spontaniously laggs 128ms spikes on NAS Datastorage and wondering if this is normal ...  ?

if not could this becaused by a bad performing NAS?

can some of you advice on how many hosts can be running on a Xeon 2.3GHz ? i when is it neccesary to buy a secondary CPU?

Im assuming RAM are the most critical on the host ..

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

If you can opt for an extra NIC (dual or otherwise) to separate the storage traffic, it's always a good thing.

As for comparing the speed between iSCSI and NFS, they are comparable.

Yes, to run all those VM's on your ESX server you'll best up the memory to maybe something like 16Gb, this gives you some extra room, the CPU can still be enough, but this depends on how well used the Citrix server will be ... You'll need to monitor this.

0 Kudos
AndersJuulJense
Contributor
Contributor

Alright Spravtek Smiley Happy

thanks for your input.

as it seems the NFS/iSCSI are compareble im not gonna spend extra $$ getting dual NIC and making the setup more complex.

So a QNAP TS459+ (or similar) with 4 x 3TB discs RAID 5 with spare

upgrade from 4 to 16GB RAM

and then just getting the show on the road ...

cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos